Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I know over time there has been some general disapproval of third party "cleaning" apps for macOS and often for good reason. We openly promote OnyX and Malwarebytes but still frown on Clean My Mac.

I think this app which I have been using since inception and now in its fourth incarnation as CleanMyMac X has proved itself to be a helpful tool with no more potential to cause harm than OnyX if you use it with care.

Every "Smart" clean can be tailored to omit some files if desired eg. email attachments. The interface is easy to use and looks great.
It's Maintainence menu allows you to pick the actions you want such as reindexing Spotlight, DNS Cache flush and Time Machine snapshot thinning.

The Uninstaller does a great job of removing apps and all associated files in 99% of cases and the Optimisation menu allows viewing and management of Login Items and Launch Agents.

In the last update some refinements were added to a new feature called Space Lens which shows disk usage in a novel way allowing you to identify the largest storage users and give you the opportunity to thin these files out, a little like a simplified version of Daisy Disk.

At all times explanations are available about what you are about to delete and that data is viewable in a finder window.

It is possible to update all apps (not just Apple apps) and weather you choose to go this way is entirely up to the user, personally I choose not to although I have tried it. At the very least it provides a complete list of apps that have pending updates.

There is also a Malware scanner and RAM optimiser built into Smart Scan, if you choose to use them.

All together CMM X is a very user friendly "one stop shop" app with a lot of easy to use convenient built in features and options.

If it poses any risks they are in that once it deletes something it's gone. Not in the trash, gone. And of course user error.
Like all tools it has the potential to do harm if used the wrong way but I can attest to the fact that what it does it does quickly and well. It's certainly not intrinsically harmful and the developers have gone to every length to make it both informative and intuitive.

As always a backup prior to using is advised, especially until you get the hang of setting preferences.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It may be a great app Rod, but it still costs $34.95 for a single license while OnyX is free. Add a free malware scanner, and the free AppCleaner.app, and well, you get what I'm trying to say..... :wink

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I agree, the ease of doing harm, has led to me to recommend Maintenance (also from Titanium), instead of OnyX.

krs

Reaction score
Why do you even need a general external maintenance tool for OS X?

Years ago, OS X had a built in maintenance routine that run in the wee hours of the morning if your Mac was not shut down and if it was shut down, it was supposed to run when the Mac was booted up again.
The latter apparently didn't always work, but I leave my Mac on 24/7 and haven't found any need to run any external maintenance routines.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Years ago, OS X had a built in maintenance routine that run in the wee hours of the morning if your Mac was not shut down and if it was shut down, it was supposed to run when the Mac was booted up again.

Those were called "maintenance scripts".

Here's a pretty good article regarding Mac maintenance. Parts of the article mention "CleanMyMac X". Not sure if the author is recommending CleanMyMac X...or plugging CleanMyMac X. But there's a lot of interesting info in the article::)

Why you should run maintenance scripts on macOS and how to do it

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For mine still have Macaroni installed and this shows the scripts are still being done automatically, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Repair Permissions etc.

Otherwise I am with Bob using Maintenance, a lighter operation of Onyx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I agree, the ease of doing harm, has led to me to recommend Maintenance (also from Titanium), instead of OnyX.

+1!!! I only use OnyX.app as a possible last resource if and when something might go a bit goofy.

And, I know quite a few users who have used and rely on varios versions of "CleanMyMac" and all are very satisfied with it.

I used to use parts of "CleanMyMac" in it's free unpaid mode which could be quite useful.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For mine still have Macaroni installed and this shows the scripts are still being done automatically, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Repair Permissions etc.

Otherwise I am with Bob using Maintenance, a lighter operation of Onyx.

Macaroni was a great app, but I now just rely on doing a Safe Boot once a week and then Restarting that seems to do even more purging and cleanup, at least with Mavericks and maybe with later OS versions as well.

If interested, have a look and read here:
How to run Mac OS X Maintenance Scripts

OPPPs... my apologies for duplicating the same URL link that Nick posted above. Sorry Nick.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It may be a great app Rod, but it still costs $34.95 for a single license while OnyX is free. Add a free malware scanner, and the free AppCleaner.app, and well, you get what I'm trying to say..... :wink

Yes, fully agree, I omitted to include that in my negatives. Of course I bought it a long time ago so I don't think of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

But it's also listed as "Shareware", so a user's option and I dare say some users prefer using a single app even if it does cost a bit.
CleanMyMac X 4.4.0 free download for Mac | MacUpdate

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It does say free download, but note the $39.95 price tag on the right. The 'free download' started with Windows to con folk.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It certainly does cost money and I should have included that as one of the down sides of the app but I notice a strong focus here on using CMM X to rum "Maintainence scripts" and that is one thing I personally don't use CMM X for.

I have tried some of its scripts and found they didn't do any harm but I still use OnyX for that purpose.

I use CCM X mostly for storage management and now with the new feature Space Lens it's even better. I use Smartvclean on average once a week and it regularly removes 2-4Gb of stuff from Photos Trash, System Trash, DNS Cache etc.
It is a very good Uninstaller and reviewer of old files and apps. The fact that I can pick and choose multiple actions all from the same app is very convenient and I'm sure very few people would use all of its functions but choose the ones they want.
Also I should say I don't use the "Helper" app it's unnecessary for me and hogs memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does say free download, but note the $39.95 price tag on the right. The 'free download' started with Windows to con folk.

If I read the site page correctly, the price for Clean My Mac has sure gone up from when I used to use at least some small parts if it.
CleanMyMac X: The Best Mac Cleanup App for macOS. Get a Cleaner Mac in Minutes.

I'm not sure if I'm being shown the Canadian pricing, But they seem quite excessive and out of line for a Mac utility:

The $54.30 seems to be only for a 1-Year Subscription, ouch!!
The One-Time Purchase License for 1 Mac is a whopping $108.67 now!!! Yikes!!!

Either price seems rather excessive when converted to Canadian dollars. $54.30usd = $70.08cdn $109.00usd = $140.67cdn

If I recall correctly it used to be around $35.00±usd quite a few years ago.

Oh well, our local gas prices just took a huge jump towards the ceiling.

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Oh well, our local gas prices just took a huge jump towards the ceiling.

Come and live here and you might find that your prices are rather modest. :giggle

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The price above that I quoted for Clean My Mac X is for a one year subscription.

Single Mac, one year subscription = $34.95 US

One Time Purchase, single Mac = $89.95 US

Canadian and Australian prices will be higher depending on the current exchange rate.

Why anyone would want to pay those prices for an application that does not do anything more than what users can get for free is beyond me.

And yes Patrick, gasoline prices have risen here also. Although they are generally a bit less expensive in Texas than some other states.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Come and live here and you might find that your prices are rather modest. :giggle

Ian

I think the same could be said about most of Europe and some Asian countries. Americans complain when gasoline prices go up but even in cities where there is public transportation, it seems we would rather drive our autos instead of utilizing it.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So true. I know everybody thinks I'm living in paradise, lounging by a pool, sipping a martini and bemoaning the world problems but in real fact I spend at least half of my time fixing things. Nothing lasts very long here but the cost of living is cheap and even with the Australian Aged pension it's still too expensive to live in Australia all year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Those were called "maintenance scripts".

Here's a pretty good article regarding Mac maintenance. Parts of the article mention "CleanMyMac X". Not sure if the author is recommending CleanMyMac X...or plugging CleanMyMac X. But there's a lot of interesting info in the article::)

- Nick

Well CMM is mentioned in the article because the article is a “How To” post by the developer of CMM. That’s their website. I used to have a dim opinion of CMM early on because it seemed to feed on fears of “junk” accumulating in one’s system. One junk removal tool in it didn’t seem to actually do anything. The last time I looked at it, it did seem to be much improved and potentially more useful, but not enough to warrant the cost. It does do a couple things that aren’t available for free, iirc, like finding duplicate files.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never been impressed with CMM and have read negative comments from folks in our forums and other forums. However, they seem to have impressed Macworld Mag and some other Mac rag writers. They have received several good reviews from the Mags. I still don't believe it's worth the price regardless of how much it's been improved.

Reaction score
App Cleaner i have used with customers for about a year now. it has always done a tonne of help in speeding up their system. Thats App Cleaner with the space in between, the logo should resemble two blue triangles (or mountains). Have a look its very easy and free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.