Check list for upgrading to Yosemite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro mid2012 non retina, ssd, 13" Catalina10.15.7 iphone12Mini iOS14 iPad Pro 10.5 iOS14
I'm planning to install Yosemite on my MBP 500G 4G Ram (not able to be upgraded/non retina) this weekend. Here is what I've done so far and plan to do.

I made a bootable copy of Yosemite on a USB thumb drive. I will back up the computer to an external HD using CCC.

I was planning to do a clean install, then restore the files and apps.

Does this plan seem okay? Am I missing something? When I do the restore, do I use CCC to do that? I lack confidence in this step. Some guidance would be appreciated.

thanks,
chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Chiss
Your plan is good.
You can use the opportunity to install the apps from their original downloads/CD and apply all the updates to it.
Then use CCC to restore your data from the backup.
Then make a new backup on another media ( not overwriting your existing backup ) until your are confident that all works well and you have restored all your data.

Cheers ... McBie

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro mid2012 non retina, ssd, 13" Catalina10.15.7 iphone12Mini iOS14 iPad Pro 10.5 iOS14
McBie

Thanks.

Looks like I might have to get some better storage. While trying to back up to an old Maxator HD using firewire with the proper adapter the disc kept losing connection. No cable moved so I don't know what is going on. I tried 3 times and all 3 were interrupted within 10 minutes. Ahh it's always something.
I'll go next week and get a new HD with more storage.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay the day has come. I had to buy a new external drive. I made an encrypted back-up using time machine. I next will restart using the thumb drive. Use the Yosemite installer to erase and install the new OS.

Once installed restart. How do I get my files back on the MBP? Not that I have any sensitive data stored on my computer I encrypted everything after reading about security. I really don't need my music files encrypted, is there a way to only encrypt certain files?

chris

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I restarted the computer holding the option key down. I then clicked on install Yosemite. The timer counted down to 1 second and got stuck there. After 10 minutes I cancelled the install. Was I suppose to use the disc utility to erase the drive first? I didn't see the option for a clean install.

I'm not sure of what I'm doing.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm abandoning trying to install Yosemite. I erased the HD and tried to install it from the USB I made following instructions on how to make a bootable copy of Yosemite. When it got to the end counting down 3, 2, "about 1 second left" then it just sat there.

I'm so happy I had the back-up on an external drive. I restored using time machine and I'm back with Mavericks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.