Cheap Power adapters Safe?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
$16 is too good to be true. Lots of imitation MagSafe adapters being sold on ebay and elsewhere. Personally, I would not use it. If you need a spare MagSafe adapter, buy one direct from Apple or these fellows.

Regards.

Reaction score
hey it is very dangerous to use that type of adaptor dear one of my friend was also using that type of adaptor and his mb gone dead.
then it was repaired by apple care ......
so avoid this type of chargers......

plz do reputation.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I've have had one of those $16 ebay adaptors for several months now and it works well. It also gets much hotter than the original adaptor does. 95% of the time, I use the Apple original, however, I did need a second for travel and it works perfectly for the remaining 5%. I wouldn't be afraid to buy another especially if it's only needed for occasional use.

That being said, if I ever need to bring my MBP in for Applecare service, I'll be taking them the original adaptor, not the aftermarket.

Also, different machines use different adaptors. Make sure your adaptor is not rated below the requirements of the machine. The Air requires 40 watts. 13" screen models 60 watts. 15" screen or larger 80 watt adaptors.

Reaction score
US$16 for a magsafe adapter is way too cheap...chances are it will fail after a week, if it will ever work straight out of the box.

C

chas_m

Our shop sold some chinese knock-off adapters. After a couple of them CAUGHT FIRE, we stopped carrying them. Lesson learned.

OP
D
Reaction score
OK, thanks all, since I do not have applecare, and don't want to lunch a thousand dollar laptop for the sake of 40 bucks, I am just going to find an OEM adapter and buy it as a spare.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Keep in mind that the MagSafe connector is patented. And I would have a hard time believing that Apple licensed it out to any of the Chinese knock-off manufacturers who are building them wholesale for $5 (if you can buy them on eBay for $20, chances are there's a 75% markup).

Not that I agree with it, but I can believe that Apple would take issue with any warranty claims that arose as the result of some knock-off adapter being used with the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
For Apple it is always better and safer to get original parts. Apple is know to make bad replacements as well, such as the replacement ac adapter you can buy at apple.com if you can buy original ac adapter off ebay, they can be found for about 50 or so.

I know some people will disagree about apple producing bad replacements but this is my opinion based on my experience being a laptop technician.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
For Apple it is always better and safer to get original parts. Apple is know to make bad replacements as well, such as the replacement ac adapter you can buy at apple.com if you can buy original ac adapter off ebay, they can be found for about 50 or so.

I know some people will disagree about apple producing bad replacements but this is my opinion based on my experience being a laptop technician.

They are the same part numbers and internal components. There is no difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I dont get it . The replacement mag safe IS the original . I can prove it as I am using one right now(because my cat chewed thru my last one ! I really miss that cat.).

Apple does not make a cheap replacement they sell you the same one that is shipped with your machine.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
Actually, apple has parts made in many different places the one that come with the computers are made in a different area then most of the one you can buy at any apple store. If you go online you can read the reviews in the store and most of them are stating that the cable becomes fried with some use, some are saying about a year. The ones that come with the computers do not do that.

On the powerbook and ibook power supplies they were easy to tell if it was an original or apple replacement as the rubber at the end of one side of the wire did not have notches to help it bend on the replacements.

No, I am not saying all of them are that way but a good number of them. You may have gotten a replacement that was made in the same area as the ones that come with the computer or one that was made better then most others. All I really am trying to say is if you are buying from some place like ebay, you will have the option to find the original and I always recommend going with original. If you are buying from apple, you will not have the option, to them the adapter is an adapter no matter who made each one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.