Charging from iMac Retina usb port

Reaction score
Hi there,

I know that charging an iPhone from the power socket in the wall is faster than charging from a computer usb port because of the limited power supply available to the usb port. I just wanted to know if this is the same with the new iMac retina.

I think it will take longer but just wanted to confirm in case Apple has done something that i wasn't aware of.

thanks for any comments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi there,

I know that charging an iPhone from the power socket in the wall is faster than charging from a computer usb port because of the limited power supply available to the usb port. I just wanted to know if this is the same with the new iMac retina.

I think it will take longer but just wanted to confirm in case Apple has done something that i wasn't aware of.

Well, your new iMac has USB 3 ports which provide nearly 5 W of power - see comparison below (SOURCE) - not sure which model phone you own (and there will be a difference), but I just bought my wife an iPhone 6 which came w/ a 5 W charger, however, I have her plug it into a 10 W charger (like for the iPad) for a much quicker charge. Bottom line, your phone should charge faster on your new computers USB 3 ports, but for the fastest charge, depending on which iPhone you own, an iPad or comparable 10 W AC charger will be the quickest way. Dave :)

P.S. If you do not know, Wattage = Amperage x Voltage.

Apple computers and displays with USB 1.1 or USB 2 ports provide:
Up to 500 mA (Milliamps) at 5 V (Volts) to most Apple USB peripherals and all USB peripherals not made by Apple in compliance with USB specifications.

Apple computers with USB 3 ports provide:
Up to 900 mA (milliamps) at 5 V (Volts) to most Apple USB peripherals and all USB peripherals not made by Apple in compliance with USB specifications.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I have a 2013 27" iMac with three rear USB 3 ports providing the same amount of power that your iMac retina does. I can charge my iPhone 5C almost as fast from one of those ports as I can from the supplied charger. However, my iPad 3 charges much faster from its charger than from my iMac. It's a matter of how much power is provided by either method. (As Dave pointed out.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.