• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Chargers and devices that they charge?

Reaction score
I have a box full of assorted chargers for USB devices ... but have no idea what some of them came with. Can one assume that any USB charger will be suitable for any device that needs charging via USB? I am presuming that the voltage from charger A is the same as that from charger B. And that this is a worldwide standard. All of mine have come from UK and/or EU (mostly the former); none are from places that have the US voltage. Thanks in advance for comments. M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
But the current may not meet the need. Plug a kettle in to a socket that is only suitable for a light.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Not really. USB charger "bricks" supply different power (amps/watts), so depending on the brick one might charge at a different speed. Some more recent devices might be able to deal with the different power outputs, but also some might not.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The broad answer is no, not all chargers are the same. Essentially they are all transformers that convert AC mains power to different voltages of DC power dependent on what the device requires, usually 12V. They also provide different Ampere/Wattage output like the Apple Power "Adaptor" which initially charges the battery in a MacBook then powers the device directly when the battery is "full".
A lower than advised wattage may charge the MacBook slowly but will not be sufficient to power it directly.
A higher than advised wattage may charge very quickly but eventually (or immediacy) damage the device.

My advice, if you cannot identify the device the charger is for, throw it away. To try and use it for something else is risky and may even be dangerous.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK thanks to all three for the helpful comments. I'd assumed that they were all the same but in view of the comments, I will be more careful in future.
M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.