Charger

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a 20W Anker Nano to charge my Apple products. But i don’t want to have troubles down the road Because of the extra wattage. What is your thoughts and knowledge on this subject? Thanks teqmter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am thinking of buying a 20W Anker Nano to charge my Apple products. But i don’t want to have troubles down the road Because of the extra wattage. What is your thoughts and knowledge on this subject?

Hi Teqmter - well, you should have told us which Apple products (models/versions) that you own, i.e. may require different cables (e.g. lightning and USB-C) - also, there was no link to the adapter you are thinking about, but I'm assuming the Anker product shown below is close - right?

I use an 18W charger for my iPad Pro and also can charge my iPhoneXR and wife's iPad Mini (as shown as compatible devices in the pic) - higher wattage chargers can be used w/ a variety of the newer iDevices - Apple builds in protective circuits to protect the device from overcharging/damage. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 12.43.59 PM.png

OP
teqmter
Reaction score
I have a iPhone 12 Mini, iPad Pro 12.9” 3rd Gen., MacBook Air 13” 2019. All up to date. Thanks teqmter

OP
teqmter
Reaction score
Sorry Yes that is the charger I am thinking about. thanks teqmter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a iPhone 12 Mini, iPad Pro 12.9” 3rd Gen., MacBook Air 13” 2019. All up to date. Thanks teqmter

Thanks for the info - the Anker 20W charger will be fine for your iDevices, using the appropriate USB-C cables - however (and I'm assuming you knew this anyway), the MBAir came w/ a 30W USB-C charger which should be used as in Apple's advice quoted below (link has more) - larger wattage chargers can be used w/ your laptop. Dave :)

Power adapters for Mac notebooks are available in 29W, 30W, 45W, 60W, 61W, 85W, 87W, and 96W varieties. You should use the appropriate wattage power adapter for your Mac notebook. You can use a compatible higher wattage power adapter without issue, but it won't make your computer charge faster or operate differently. If you use a power adapter that is lower in wattage than the adapter that came with your Mac, it won't provide enough power to your computer. (LINK)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
For future reference, wattage makes no difference, as long as the charger has sufficient wattage to charge. Excess wattage just means it's got reserve. The charging devices draw what amperage they can stand, and since wattage is volts * amps, as long as the charger has the right voltage and is capable of the wattage demanded, it won't *push* more than the demand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.