Charge iPhone with iPad charger?

Reaction score
I did a search but to no avail, I finally updated my 1st gen iPad to a mini 2. I know it's uses a higher amperage so is it safe to charge my iPhone with my iPad charger?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've done it a few times with no apparent ill effects but you might wait for one of the electrical gurus to chime in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I did a search but to no avail, I finally updated my 1st gen iPad to a mini 2. I know it's uses a higher amperage so is it safe to charge my iPhone with my iPad charger?

Apple chargers typically provide 5 W, 10 W (5 V x 2 A), or 12 W - those iDevices that came w/ 5 W chargers (e.g. iPhone, iPod Touch, & iPad Mini original) can use the higher wattage chargers w/o ill effects - the battery circuitry is protective - wife has the first Mini & an iPhone 6 and I've had her use 10 W chargers on both - no problems and of course a much faster charging time! - check this Apple Support Article for further information and some googling will bring up plenty of hits stating the practice is safe. Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can definitely attest to the faster charge time. Yesterday before work I discovered that my iPhone battery was at about 20% charge. Plugged it in using my iPad charger and 9n qbout an hour I was at about 95%

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
It's a feature of the iPhone 6 and 6+ which allows them to charge faster with the iPad charger. Apparently earlier versions of the phone didn't benefit.

Source: How to Charge the iPhone 6 Faster

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used the trick before with the 3GS and 4 models of iPhone and I think you're right. With those models the iPad charger works and doesn't appear to damage anything but I don't think charging is sped up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well that relieves some guilt. I have my ipad charger and iphone charger on the same power strip. Occasionally I get them mixed up. I usually catch it with in minutes.

I was more concerned about the higher wattage affecting the iPhone. I figured the lower wattage iPhone charger should not harm the iPad, just make it charge slower.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that relieves some guilt. I have my ipad charger and iphone charger on the same power strip. Occasionally I get them mixed up. I usually catch it with in minutes.

I was more concerned about the higher wattage affecting the iPhone. I figured the lower wattage iPhone charger should not harm the iPad, just make it charge slower.

Hi Lisa - I have a bunch of these AC 2-port chargers that provide 2 Amp outputs (5 V), most w/ foldable prongs, so great for travel or at home - below is the one next to my wife's bed, which provides a total of 4 Amps to 2 ports; she just plugs in both her iPad Mini and new iPhone 6 - so no need to worry about a slow charge - we carry a couple other ones (different brands) on trips. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 6.07.23 PM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought one that has three standard electrical outlets and two USB ports. Link It has worked well so far though I have not had to use the USB ports a lot. Got it mainly because I needed a few more electrical outlets in an out of the way place.

These types of chargers come in handy but do your research. I've had a no name knockoff one fail after only a few months even though I rarely used both USB ports simultaneously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought one that has three standard electrical outlets and two USB ports. Link It has worked well so far though I have not had to use the USB ports a lot. Got it mainly because I needed a few more electrical outlets in an out of the way place.

These types of chargers come in handy but do your research. I've had a no name knockoff one fail after only a few months even though I rarely used both USB ports simultaneously.

Hi Sly.... - good comment bolded above - don't go cheap - buy brand names and also those that are reviewed well, or you'll end up buying 2-3 cheapos at the cost of a good one and potentially damage your equipment - applies to cables, third party Apple chargers, and many other items, I guess. BOY - why is a 'cheap' accessory so attractive to an apparently intelligent human being? Sorry, I'm being a little philosophical here - BIG ;) Dave

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've certainly been guilty of buying a few knock off accessories with limited success. Some of the cables have had the outer casing fail at either end although non actually developed a short.

The other problem I've experienced with knock off cables is that the iDevices may or may not charge properly. In some cases the device reports as not charging when it is in fact charging at a very slow rate. At other times it is nor charging at all. Too bad because some of these cables have features, such as extra length that might be useful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.