Changing Screenshot Format

D

Danster

Hello all.

This is a question I'v been asking everyone for ages but know one seems to know how to do it. I want to change the format from a PDF to a jpeg when you take a snapshot of the desktop.

Anyone know how to?

Many thanks in advance :p

OP
K

Kokopelli

Open the PDF in Preview, then go to the file menu and choose export => jpeg. Basically that is all there is to it. For a dual monitor setup I export both pages then merge them in Gimp.

OP
J

Jefe3223

Yeah, what Mr.Bobbins said will work. I personally use dropjpeg.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8109
But to each his own, eh. I'd say either are good. Dropjpeg lets you convert most formats into jpegs, no matter where you got them. I only advacate it 'cause I've used it. I think I'll try Snapndrag, now....

OP
D

Danster

Sorry I wasn't quite clear on what I wanted.

I know how to export the picture from PDF-JPEG but I want OSX to
when I take the snapshot to produce it as a jpeg so I wont have to convert it

I think you may have to go into the system folders and tweak the settings but don't know what ones.

Thanks anyway :mac:

OP
C

CaptainMack

thats impossible. apples quartz engine is very integrated with adobes portable document format. thats why they all come out as pdfs. the best way to do what you want is get a shareware app or post-convert.

OP
K

Kokopelli

You could automate it though using a shell script. screenshot to save it, imagemagick or some scriptable app to convert, then delete the original PDF.

EDIT: Yes I think a 3d party application would be easiest. There is no direct way that I know of to do this.

Reaction score
Snapndrag will give you a keyboard shortcut for screen captures of which the format of is directly JPEG, is this not what you want to do Danster ?. :bomb:

You could also try out Snapclip which does the same thing:

http://www.pixture.com/macosx.php

OP
B

Blue_Dawg

you can also use freesnap. Nice little ap that will save you shots in just about any extension you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Grab in Tiger saves to tiff format,
command shift 4 etc in Tiger saves to png format. (pdf in Panther)
Get Tiger and use Automator to change the format :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.