Changing host name at my home

Reaction score
Hello! I am trying to change the "given" host name and password at my home and am not sure how to do it. The one I have is ridiculously long and forgetable. I am not very computer savvy and would love the solution! Thank you in advance, Shana

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you referring to your "user name" (the name you log on with)? If you are, changing that name without doing it correctly could render your computer inoperable. If by "host name" you're referring to the name you log on to your router for internet access, that's much easier to change. Please clarify for us.

Also, please tell us which Mac you have (year and model) and what version of OS X it's running.

And Welcome to the Mac Forums.

OP
S
Reaction score
Changing host name

Thank you for your reply.

I am at home and trying to change the host network name. When I connect to wireless, my host name that comes up is random (not personalized). I wanted to customize the name and password. Currently, my password is very difficult and long. Is this more clear?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you referring to the name of the wireless network? If so, we'll need to know the make and model of the router before we can offer suggestions (since they all do things a little differently).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.