Change Username?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
Any idea how I could change my username from homeuser to say... Josh? My mac came like that and it's pretty annoying for some reason... Could I just manualy edit /etc/passwd or would that cause conflicts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
There's really no way to do it without completely screwing up your computer.

Back up and reinstall.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Create a new user account and copy the data from the old to the new. Then remove the old account. i believe that is what you are asking.

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, I guess I could do that! :p I don't have a restore CD or I would! :p I just started my iMac and it went into OS X.

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an update... I'm removing MS Office from the old account I've renamed to Admin since it has admin status... I'll reinstall everything on the new account that I've named Josh with a shortname of Josh... Everything seems to be smooth now!

Reaction score
Just a piece of advice: Never again buy a Mac second-hand withouth the restore CDs. Sooner or later you'll need them for some vague reason, even if it's just a simple disk repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.