cd-rw or not?

R

rosalux

My old and trusty Zip drive just went to Zip drive heaven and I am thinking of buying an external cd-rw drive to replace it...

Questions: 1) Is this foolish as I tend to only copy text files that are seldom larger than 2mb? (though lots and lots of them) 2) If it is the sensible thing to do would anyone recommend particular drives (make or model?) All help would be appreciated.

Obviously, my iMac has a read only cd drive.

Tanks
Rosa

OP
C

ClearcutZ

I had a Zip CD burner... basially they are all the same except for speed and small manufacturer differences. Just find a reasonably priced one.

OP
B

Badger

Rather than an external drive you might look at www.mcetech.com for internal CD-RW drives for the G3. You can use cd-rw disks to burn multi-session disks with your small files or store the files you want to backup in one folder until you get a buildup worth burning to a cd-r.
Badger

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would go with the external burner, because you can move to other systems. I have an external LaCie DVD burner, that works very well. I would look into a DVD burner instead of the CD burner, due to future growth. Also if you want to back up your whole system you can get more on a DVD than you can on a CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Definetly.. although cd burners are dead cheap nowadays...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.