Catalina won't network to Windows

Reaction score
I have upgraded my iMac to Catalina from Mojave and it now won't connect to my Windows 10 PC, with the message: 'There was a problem connecting to the server "dell-latitude" '.
I have
- checked the network - the iMac and my Macbook can see each other OK
- checked the workgroup name in System Preferences > Network > Advanced > WINS
- checked Sharing > 'Share files and folders using SMB'
- on Windows, I have checked network discovery is ON and file sharing enabled
- created a nsmb.conf file in /etc (suggested in another forum post)
but it still fails. The only thing changed since it last worked is the Catalina upgrade.
My MacBook (also upgraded to Catalina) won't connect to Windows either. How can I enable Windows networking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When I had this issue, I had to select the folders/drives on the winOS PC and enable sharing in the Properties dialog box.

OP
M
Reaction score
When I had this issue, I had to select the folders/drives on the winOS PC and enable sharing in the Properties dialog box.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion but I can't even get as far as a sign in prompt to the WinPC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you restarted the winOS PC, since you upgraded the Mac?

OP
M
Reaction score
I contacted Apple Support and they solved the problem. Connection was failing using the PC's system name but I was able to connect to the PC using its IP address. The support guy thought it was possibly due to the DHCP entry having changed since last successful connection. I don't know whether the upgrade to Catalina had anything to do with it - maybe just a coincidence ..?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you so much for posting back the solution. It will help others in the future.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, it's only a partial solution. I can connect by IP address with no trouble but can't connect by the WinPC server name, even though the name appears in the Network section of the Finder sidebar. 'Connect as..' appears but clicking it has no effect. If I use 'connect to server (⌘-K)' and give the server name it says "There was a problem connecting to the server dell-latitude". I have tried restarting the WinPC, and under System Preferences File Sharing 'Use SMB for file sharing' is checked.

Attachments

• 1594575773249.png
    1594575773249.png
    1 KB · Views: 11
OP
M
Reaction score
I have a further update on this problem. I contacted Apple Support and they decided it's an issue with Catalina. The fix is to append ".local" to the Windows server name, e.g. Finder > Connect to Server > MyPC.local
I don't know why it seems to be just me getting this problem but it certainly works. Apple Support gave me to understand this should be patched in a future MacOS update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.