Catalina & Logitech mouse issues

Reaction score
I upgraded my late 2012 27" iMac to Catalina. Since then my Logitech MX bluetooth mouse has ceased working. I'm not the only one affected it appears from the Logitech support forum. The only comment from Logitech is that they 'are working with Apple on the issue' but the problem is still ongoing. I have now used an external SSD to boot into Mojave and my mouse works normally.
Anyone have advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Mojave and Catalina are two entirely different systems. If you must use the Logitech mouse, you can stay on Mojave until Logitech gets the issue sorted. If you need Catalina, get a compatible mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Obviously there have been a few changes "under the hood" with Catalina compared to Mojave because I have noticed some slowdown with my HP Z5000 BlueTooth mouse.
The click to wake function now takes considerably longer and I have had to increase the Tracking speed a notch to get the same responsiveness.

I'll give the "delete com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file. solution in your link a try and get back with the results.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'll give the "delete com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file. solution in your link a try and get back with the results.

it will be quite interesting to see if your macOS Catalina will actually let you "muck about" inside and Delete it without a lot of hassles considering all its Security and "Don't Touch" protection. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, you can gain access to some items that are "don't touch" by turning off SIP. Not recommended for everyone since that has to be done from Recovery and in the Terminal. The plist files though can be deleted as they are located in the User folder and not the restricted system folder. Remember, Catalina divides the Macintosh HD into two containers. One for the User and the other for the System.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm using a Logitech MX Master myself on Catalina and have no issues. But I don't have it connected by Bluetooth... I'm using the Unifying Receiver. I would definitely recommend trying that. The iMac will see it as if it was a cabled USB mouse. I also use a 3rd party mouse utility called SteerMouse, although I don't know if that will help here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Obviously there have been a few changes "under the hood" with Catalina compared to Mojave because I have noticed some slowdown with my HP Z5000 BlueTooth mouse.
The click to wake function now takes considerably longer and I have had to increase the Tracking speed a notch to get the same responsiveness.

Hmmm... I have similar problems with my bluetooth keyboard (Matias). I thought maybe it started with Mojave, but it's certainly annoyingly slow to connect now on Catalina. Actually it causes me problems when rebooting when I need to use the keyboard to boot into Windows or Recovery Mode (had to do that when troubleshooting early on). It didn't even occur to me that it could be a macOS issue.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm using the wireless backlit version of the Matias keyboard and I haven't really noticed a slowness to connect. I have noticed that connection can be twitch when trying to use keys such as Option in troubleshooting. The reason I say I haven't noticed any slowness is I sometimes have the same issue with Apple's keyboard. Attaching the charging wire and running it as a wired keyboard seems to solve the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using the wireless backlit version of the Matias keyboard and I haven't really noticed a slowness to connect. I have noticed that connection can be twitch when trying to use keys such as Option in troubleshooting. The reason I say I haven't noticed any slowness is I sometimes have the same issue with Apple's keyboard. Attaching the charging wire and running it as a wired keyboard seems to solve the problem.

Sometimes when I wake the iMac up, the Matias won't connect and I have to toggle over to the keyboard's 2nd Bluetooth option, then back to #1 for the iMac before it starts working. I've been assuming something was wonky with the keyboard all this time but now I wonder.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OK. I see what you mean now. have experienced that behavior a few times. In my case, the second option is a Windows 10 box for one or two pieces of software that don't have Mac versions. It doesn't happen often for me but when it does it seems to affect the PC more often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have also been having an issue with my 2009 Apple Wireless Keyboard. I keep having to "Forget this device", then add it back in.

I did just leave feedback for Apple, Product Feedback - Apple, regarding this issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.