Catalina L2TP IPSec

Reaction score
Hi all

Who's all puzzled, surprised or has figured out whats going on with L2TP not working on Catalina anymore.
Been battling to connect, so tried Shimo and eventually got this message popping up (see attached) doing some more digging via googggglling it seems this might be fact.

I used L2TP to connect to my router at home (Draytek Vigor)

G

Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 13.23.46.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
HI and welcome.

"What's going on" is, I'm afraid, amply answered by the screenshot you posted - Apple decided to discontinue support for etc..... Consequently, Shimo does not support these types of VPN etc...

That's the reason. Why? Maybe it's incompatible with macOS Catalina? I'm not familiar with L2TP at all, but if it's an app, it may be 32 bit?? If so, no 32 bit apps work with macOS Catalina.

I'm sorry you've had this misfortune.

Ian

OP
georgelza
Reaction score
My vpn was primarily configured directly into network configs, had problems, tried using Shimo and then found this... (Shimo was just a test app)

Now to figure out what protocol combinations my router (Draytek Vigo 2760) support and what matches onto the Mac OS Catalina list and reconfigure. (Do see that L2TP) is still listed... why ever they do that to confuse people only they know.

G

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's the reason:

In computer networking, Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) is a tunneling protocol used to support virtual private networks (VPNs) or as part of the delivery of services by ISPs.

It does not provide any encryption or confidentiality by itself.

Catalina has tightened security on just about everything.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for helping out, Charlie.

Ian

OP
georgelza
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm not arguing thats it's been removed or why, just trying to figure out what my options are/what to new configure on my Draytek, that Apple will be happy with/support.

Otherwise I need to drop this functionality from my edge router and configure it into a passthrough mode through to my Ubiquiti Unifi USG which also have Firewall and VPN capabilities.
little to get completed task for the upcoming weekend when I'm home. (I"m only home every 3-4 weeks for a long weekend)

G

OP
georgelza
Reaction score
VPN Client for Catalina

Ok, so I'm seriously starting to regret this upgrade... Apple have some level of responsibility to make sure there is working solutions and their dropping of L2TP and PPTP seriously F'd people. how many Routers and VPN servers in the consumer domain is there currently thats build around something other than L2TP...

Whats everyone doing, but my Edge router, DrayTek Vigo2 2760 and my Unifi USG that sits on the inside of my network only both support L2TP and PPTP.
I got a Synology NAS, so thinking of running a VPN server on there, ... got OpenVPN configured but now looking for a free client.

Whats everyone else doing, this is getting critical.

G

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Threads merged - there is no reason to start a new thread on the exact same topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ok, so I'm seriously starting to regret this upgrade... Apple have some level of responsibility to make sure there is working solutions and their dropping of L2TP and PPTP seriously F'd people. how many Routers and VPN servers in the consumer domain is there currently thats build around something other than L2TP...

Whats everyone doing, but my Edge router, DrayTek Vigo2 2760 and my that sits on the inside of my network only both support L2TP and PPTP.
I got a Synology NAS, so thinking of running a VPN server on there, ... got OpenVPN configured but now looking for a free client.

Whats everyone else doing, this is getting critical.

G

Ok, so this is not something I have any experience with, but let's verify what these products support. According to its support page, the DrayTek Vigor 2760 supports these protocols: PPTP, IPSec, L2P, L2TP over IPSec. So, it looks like you can use and in this situation are limited to IPSec or L2P (actually I think L2P is a typo on that page... I can't find anything about L2P, so scratch that). In doing some more digging, L2TP over IPSec is supported on Catalina (see below), so that's another option.

As for the Unifi USG, I found a support article titled UniFi - Verifying and Troubleshooting IPsec VPN on USG. So both of your devices should be able to use IPSec. Your software client, Shimo, also supports it.

In doing some brief searching, I found a couple support articles from Apple about VPN enhancements on Catalina that you may need to review also.

VPN enhancements in iOS 13 and macOS Catalina - Apple Support
Change options for L2TP over IPSec VPN connections on Mac - Apple Support

That last one implies that L2TP over IPSec can be used. I just ran through my network settings on Catalina to review the process of setting up a VPN and yes, it is an option. And it is supported by your hardware also. Here's a support article for the UniFi (scroll down to the section about configuring macOS to get the part about "over IPSec"):
UniFi - USG: Configuring L2TP Remote Access VPN – Ubiquiti Networks Support and Help Center

So from what I can divine, your best choice may be to use L2TP over IPSec. Catalina supports it. Your software supports it. And your hardware support it. IPSec (aka Cisco IPSec) also is an option.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.