Catalina 10.15.5 and strange battery problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
I installed Catalina 10.15.5 on my MacBookPro 13" early 2015.
I noticed the 'battery health' feature in the Energy Saver preferences. That lasted for a day or 3-4. Then it disappeared.
Also in System Information under Battery Information the line 'Health' disappeared.

Worst of all: while my battery is fully charged showing 100% in the menu bar, as soon as I unplug the charger, my Mac shuts down. Just like that.
When I restart after having plugged in my charger, everything works fine.
On top of that, my computer shuts down after 2-3 hours when on the charger. No, there are schedules in Energy Saver preferences.

Strange, very strange....and bloody annoying
What now?

Robert

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First thing I suggest you do is download this free battery health app and see what it tells you about the battery:

Post back what it tells you and we can go from there.

And, Welcome to our forums. :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
Thanks for your rapid answer. Attached the report.
What still remains a mystery is that the problem happened after I upgraded from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5. And the 'battery health' view in preferences showed up, but disappeared a few days later.
But let's start with the report

Attachments

• coconut .pdf
    22.8 KB · Views: 22
  • coconut screen shot.pdf
    315.8 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That battery is pretty worn and dying. Time for a replacement, I think. As for the "Health" issue, your machine does not support it, according to one report I read. Neither does mine, also from 2015. Apparently only more recent hardware supports the function, so it gets removed from the application once it determines the hardware won't support the function.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
Hi Jake.
This morning the battery was completely empty and it's been charging at 1% for an hour already. Guess no choice but to have it replaced.
As for the disappearance of the 'battery health', that must be the case
Thanks for your advice.
Robert

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.