Card Reader Not Working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
My card reader is also not working. Are there some checks i can do for this, or some fixes? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which card reader are you referring to, one built into your Mac or a separate USB unit? And it would help if you identified which Mac you have - year and model? Also tell us the version of OS X you're running.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MACBOOK PRO OS X 10.9.5

The SD card on the left hand front side of this laptop...Quit working over a year ago...This unit was built Dec. 2011, I purchased it Jan 2012...It quit working when I used the Lion 10.5, so at least I know the OS X had nothing to do with it. I've tried several differeny flash card, not are working, nor recognized.

Which card reader are you referring to, one built into your Mac or a separate USB unit? And it would help if you identified which Mac you have - year and model? Also tell us the version of OS X you're running.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your MacBook Pro is out of warranty, the only thing I can suggest is to buy a can of compressed air and blow a few short blasts into the card reader. Don't hold the can too close. The contacts in the SD slot may be dirty.

This assumes you have already tried doing a PRAM reset and SMC reset. If you haven't done either one, do them first. Go to the Apple KB to learn how.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If you have a hardware fault, then the logic board will require replacement. Far cheaper will be to use a USB card reader.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did the best I could with the cleaning. I cannot for the life of me find compressed air here in the Philippines...I used a small erasure on those contacts and tried to polish those up a bit, blew it out with my mouth. That's all I have. Guess I'll just continue to download the photos directly from my camera via USB port. The smart cards work in the Dell, not in the MAC...Thanks

If your MacBook Pro is out of warranty, the only thing I can suggest is to buy a can of compressed air and blow a few short blasts into the card reader. Don't hold the can too close. The contacts in the SD slot may be dirty.

This assumes you have already tried doing a PRAM reset and SMC reset. If you haven't done either one, do them first. Go to the Apple KB to learn how.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.5; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.5; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmmm, never seen it like that before. Not a bad idea, an alternative from going into the computer and changing the original factory reader. Not sure if I can get that shipped here to the Philippines without it being lost. I'll check out local Apple store at the mall, we do have one here now, and a Dell store. Not so much in the stone ages here like we were back 20 years ago when i first visited here, hehe Thanks

Reaction score
You can go into almost ANY larger store (walmart, best buy, etc) and buy a card reader. I've even seen them at Big Lots. You just need to look.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We don't have those store here in Asia...Wish we did..! Compressed air would be like gold...There in the US they are a dime a dozen..!

QUOTE=cebudude;1606808]Hmmmm, never seen it like that before. Not a bad idea, an alternative from going into the computer and changing the original factory reader. Not sure if I can get that shipped here to the Philippines without it being lost. I'll check out local Apple store at the mall, we do have one here now, and a Dell store. Not so much in the stone ages here like we were back 20 years ago when i first visited here, hehe Thanks[/QUOTE]

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I'm saying is, we don't have Best Buy, like you mentioned. We do have electronic stores, but they are very limited in supplies. Frustrates me.

Cell Phone supplies is quite another matter. Tons and tons of accessories...Big Box Stores, nope....Comp USA, nope...Office Depot, nope. Not even a Home Depot...They try, but we are still behind America and other more developed countries. I've used eBay a few times, but there again, the risk of you stuff being lost or stolen.

I guess I should mention, Manila being the capital city would have more...I am way further to the south part of the country. many things Manila has, we do not. Wish I was back in Texas. **-hum, I'd waltz right in to Best Buy and get anything i wanted, soooooo easy....!

Asia doesn't have department stores? Big box stores? Small electronics shops?
Department Stores in the Philippines - Philippine Business Directory Results -

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I'm saying is, we don't have Best Buy, like you mentioned. We do have electronic stores, but they are very limited in supplies. Frustrates me.

I guess I should mention, Manila being the capital city would have more...I am way further to the south part of the country. many things Manila has, we do not. Wish I was back in Texas. **-hum, I'd waltz right in to Best Buy and get anything i wanted, soooooo easy....!

Just curious - I'm sure there are stores in Manila that have these SD-USB adapters, can't you just make a call (or do it online) to a store there and have it shipped to you? I've never been to the Philippines (although my BIL went to medical school in Manila) so not sure what the postal system is like w/i the country. Dave :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In country here there is a much better freight system, (LBC) they also connect to the LA, USA area at Anaheim...That was going to be my last alternative after checking here. USPS not so good coming here from US, things get stolen or lost many times.

Just curious - I'm sure there are stores in Manila that have these SD-USB adapters, can't you just make a call (or do it online) to a store there and have it shipped to you? I've never been to the Philippines (although my BIL went to medical school in Manila) so not sure what the postal system is like w/i the country. Dave :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In country here there is a much better freight system, (LBC) they also connect to the LA, USA area at Anaheim...That was going to be my last alternative after checking here. USPS not so good coming here from US, things get stolen or lost many times.

Sorry - I'd mail my adapter to you (rarely use it since my MBPro's SD slot still works) but the cost would likely exceed its price & the possibility of it being stolen from your comments is bothersome - Dave :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate the offer Dave. better save yours, you may need it later, hehee...If I find something i will post and call this thread closed...Thanks Again:Cool:

Sorry - I'd mail my adapter to you (rarely use it since my MBPro's SD slot still works) but the cost would likely exceed its price & the possibility of it being stolen from your comments is bothersome - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.