Can't upgrade OSX - what are my options?

Reaction score
I have a Black MacBook 2,1:
Processor: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
OSX 10.6.8
It started having recurring kernel panics--I assume because the OS is no longer supported. I don't think I can upgrade to any more recent Apple OSX.
I'd like to keep using the computer--what are my options? I tried installing Umbuntu from a DVD I burned from a download from the site, but my MacBook said it was unreadable. I would just like to be able to keep the computer and not throw it out--what a waste! Thanks for any ideas.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a Black MacBook 2,1:
Processor: 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
OSX 10.6.8

Actually the OS on this computer can be upgraded past 10.6.8. It can be upgraded to 10.7.5.

It started having recurring kernel panics--I assume because the OS is no longer supported.

Not true. Kernel panics don't have anything to do with OS support.

I don't think I can upgrade to any more recent Apple OSX.

As mentioned above…the OS can be upgraded to 10.7.5.:)

I would just like to be able to keep the computer and not throw it out--what a waste!

Not a waste. It's a going on 9 year-old computer…it's had it's "time in the sun"!;) When the eventual end does come. You can always sell it or donate it.:)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you, Nick. Even if I do upgrade to Lion, however, I imagine it's only a matter of time before Apple stops supporting 10.7. I wish I could use a different operating system that would continue to be supported. I think about all those rare earth metals dug out of the earth to make this computer, and it makes me sad to see "the end come" when it shouldn't have to.

On a side note, I've read that kernel panics can be caused by not keeping software up to date and I haven't been able to update Flash, among others, because they don't have upgrades that work with 10.6. I'm wondering if that is what's causing the panics.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if I do upgrade to Lion, however, I imagine it's only a matter of time before Apple stops supporting 10.7. I wish I could use a different operating system that would continue to be supported.

I don't know why...but I'm seriously detecting a "glass half-empty" tone in your posts. I gave you a solution (one that you were not aware of)...upgrade to 10.7. And instead of saying "awesome"..."great"..."super". I get..."Ugh...what am I going to do???":(

All operating systems will eventually not be supported (10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10). It's just a matter of time for any of them. 10.7 is still supported...so if support is important to you..upgrade to 10.7!:)

I think about all those rare earth metals dug out of the earth to make this computer, and it makes me sad to see "the end come" when it shouldn't have to.

AGAIN...a "glass half empty" reply!:( I already mentioned...when you feel the need to stop using this computer...either sell it, donate it, or "gift it" to a friend or relative.:)

On a side note, I've read that kernel panics can be caused by not keeping software up to date...

We hear lot & lots of things...many of them are not true. If you're getting kernel panics...I'm going to say that the chances of it being due to software not up to date are very small. Kernel panics can be software related...but many times it's hardware related. If it is software...it could be a software conflict of some sort (which is not the same as keeping the software up to date).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I wish I could use a different operating system that would continue to be supported.

You can. Linux. There are several hundred varieties of it you can choose from.

EDIT: BTW, pigoo is absolutely right when he says kernel panics have nothing to do with the end of the "support" for the installed OS. Nothing. Nada. Nil. It's possible something has corrupted on your installation, in which case a clean re-install of Snow Leopard would fix that. You can also try downloading and applying the 10.6.8 Update Combo to see if that irons it out. But... it's also very likely that you have a hardware component that is failing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP did mention Ubuntu in 1st post. I was trying to solve things with the OS X route first.:) But other OS's are ok too!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Excuse me it's not the end of that machine if you want to go unsupported.

There is sixty four on thirty two which allows maverick and mountain lion on this model of macbook the way it works is it's boot efi is a 64 bit emulated efi it works like using virtualpc instead of launching virtual pc it runs full screen on startup and allows maverick and mountain lion to boot on your machine.

but you will not be able to run dvd player and you would need the graphics card driver from 10.7 in order for it to function.

your choice ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OP did mention Ubuntu in 1st post. I was trying to solve things with the OS X route first.:) But other OS's are ok too!:)

- Nick

He seemed to think that because that didn't work out, nothing would, no matter what. Besides, some people just need to hear the same answer from multiple people before they accept it. ****, I go through this at work all the time. Got a couple ill-experienced co-workers who frequently won't take my word on something till someone else says the same thing. I don't get it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
****, I go through this at work all the time. Got a couple ill-experienced co-workers who frequently won't take my word on something till someone else says the same thing. I don't get it.

It's kind of like the wife. I can tell her something…and she won't listen until someone else tells her the same exact thing!:( But then again…same thing with her parents. She can tell her dad something…and he'll ignore it. But if I tell him the same exact thing…I'm a genius!;)

It's a weird psychological predicament.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
BTW, pigoo is absolutely right when he says kernel panics have nothing to do with the end of the "support" for the installed OS.
The only time when this may actually be the case is if you're running older software on a progressively newer operating system and thus running unsupported versions on a new OS. For example, running Flash 9 on a machine with Yosemite. I imagine that this combination of older software and newer OS causing a panic would be fairly rare though.

ekandre, because you have an Intel Mac, you could very well transition the machine to Linux if there isn't software that you absolutely need that's only available for OS X (you can install Linux on a PPC Mac but it's easier to get supported distributions for the x86 architecture). Have you ever tried/heard of Linux?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I didn't even know what a kernel panic was until I had them and asked here. My "older" macbook is 2008 and I dearly love it. I really didn't want to buy a new one so took the advice here and put in a new hard drive from OWC and increased the memory. Then I reinstalled the new OS that came with it and have never had another panic. I finally upgraded new Snow Leopard but probably won't go any further on this laptop. Now the recharge cord is acting funny. Really I should have bought a new computer. Just do what these guys tell you to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.