Can't update to 10.10.2

Reaction score
Mac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

I click to download the 10.10.2 yosemite update in the app store. The update is over 400 MB, and takes hours, and takes a little while.

When the update finishes downloading, there is a prompt to restart the computer, with a countdown of 1 minute if I don't manually click restart. A window usually opens up that says "Updates have changed," and I have the option to view details or cancel. View Details just takes me to the app store and shows me the info about the update. Nothing appears to have changed. Clicking Cancel just makes the window disappear and the countdown to reset resumes. Countdown hits 0 and nothing happens.

The iMac never restarts and the update just resets back to zero and starts downloading again. Wife is experiencing the exact same issue with her MBP. It's as though I'm stuck in an endless 10.10.2 downloading loop.

My internet connection is fine. Am I missing something? I've never in my life had trouble with a Mac update of any sort. Or really, had trouble with macs in general.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you're getting a corrupted download. Try going somewhere that has free WiFi and download 10.10.2 from there. You said the download takes hours because it's over 400 MB which means you have a slow connection. And slow connections very often inherit errors during a long download. If there's an Apple store nearby, you can use their free WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And at that speed it sounds like dialup. On barely fast ADSL, 8mb/s, too ten minutes to download and about fifteen to install.

OP
M
Reaction score
And at that speed it sounds like dialup. On barely fast ADSL, 8mb/s, too ten minutes to download and about fifteen to install.

It's weird. My wireless connection is just fine with everything else on every other device. It's just this update from apple that is the problem.

I'll try it over a wired connection and see if apple like the ethernet wire better ;)

Thanks for getting back

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
One of the downsides of slow speeds (other than the length of time that things take of course) is that the probability of corruption increases. Using a wired connection might help especially if it helps with ensuring a consistent connection. Give that a try. If that doesn't work, chscag's suggestion is the next best bet - find somewhere with a decent free WiFI connection and download the update there (if you have a device that you can bring with you).

OP
M
Reaction score
One of the downsides of slow speeds (other than the length of time that things take of course) is that the probability of corruption increases. Using a wired connection might help especially if it helps with ensuring a consistent connection. Give that a try. If that doesn't work, chscag's suggestion is the next best bet - find somewhere with a decent free WiFI connection and download the update there (if you have a device that you can bring with you).

I see. I'm just confused about why the download speed be so slow with the apple update but fine with other downloads? Wouldn't that be something on apple's end? Obviously lugging an iMac around anytime there's an apple update is a little silly, especially when my connection is fine.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, it was likely an issue with Apple's servers at the moment (which is unusual as their servers are usually well balanced). You could try downloading the 10.10.2 update here instead of through the App Store (assuming you've already got 10.10.1) in case this happens to work better for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I see. I'm just confused about why the download speed be so slow with the apple update but fine with other downloads? Wouldn't that be something on apple's end? Obviously lugging an iMac around anytime there's an apple update is a little silly, especially when my connection is fine.

If you have a faster WiFi somewhere (coffee shop) you can download the Combo package for 10.10.2 as an offline .dmg installer. Then you just transfer it to any Mac you want to update and click on the package. I always get the Combo rather than using the App store. Much faster if you have multiple machines and a slow internet.

OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 Combo Update

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, it was likely an issue with Apple's servers at the moment (which is unusual as their servers are usually well balanced). You could try downloading the 10.10.2 update here instead of through the App Store (assuming you've already got 10.10.1) in case this happens to work better for you.

That worked beautifully. Thanks! I didn't think to look anywhere but the app store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your problem may be with the router. How old is it and how long since a reset and new setup? Personally 2-3 years is as long as I can get out of a router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.