Can't shutdown Mavericks after upgrade

Reaction score
iMac will not shut down now that I have downloaded Maverick. Have to use the start button. I have an iMac 24" 600gb HD. I have just re-formated the hard drive. Loaded Lion, then upgraded to Maverick because a lot of my stuff would not work with Lion. I have 2 One TB Disks that have also been formated. two printers one wireless, also a separate CD and DVD writer because my internal one does not always eject the disk. I also have a Sandisk card reader.I always shut down anything that is open, before switching off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
We need a lot lot more info than "Will not shut down now . . . ."

What iMac do you have ? What OS did you upgrade from ? Do you have any Peripherals plugged in ? Did you do a clean install ie: Backup, wipe HD clean, install OS; or did you just install over the old OS ? Did you Repair Disk Permissions before you did the Upgrade, if you installed over another OS ? How big is your HD ? How full was it when you installed Mavericks ? How much RAM installed ?

As you can see, there is a lot of info that we need to accumulate to give you a decent diagnosis to see if we can get you up and going properly.
I could of gone on and on with more questions so the more info we get, the more you will get in return and maybe a working Mac :)

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've changed your title to describe the problem. Descriptive titles will help draw people to your thread.

Have you just downloaded it or installed it as well? Did you do an upgrade or a fresh install? Do you get some sort of error message?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First thing to try is a SMC reset for the iMac. This is how: Shut it down completely and remove the AC cord from the wall receptacle. Let the machine sit that way for around 15 minutes. Plug the AC cord back in and then go ahead and restart. See if it will shut down properly.

If that doesn't work try this: Start up in safe mode by holding down the shift key as you boot the machine to startup. Once in safe mode, see if it will shut down normally.

Also make sure that all external hard drives, usb hubs, DVD writers, etc, are removed before powering down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Also make sure that all external hard drives, usb hubs, DVD writers, etc, are removed before powering down.

This was one of my first thoughts,especially now knowing its a older iMac . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.