can't reboot from safe mode w/SL

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have an old macpro 15 that I recently upgraded from Tiger to SL. SInce the upgrade, I've had frequent crashes, which made me reminiscent of the days when I used a PC. I restarted in safe mode to see if that would help. The OS booted back up in safe mode ok, but when I went to restart, the machine shut down before completing the start up process. I even put in the SL disk and it still shuts down when I try to reboot. Although I'm probably overlooking something really simple, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When you did your install, did you port anything back using Migration Assistant?

OP
M
Reaction score
i did the install about 4 weeks ago. Since i did it, the computer crashed frequently. I'm not mac or tech savvy, but I don't recall using migration assistant.

Since my post, I tried restarting w/command s and doing the fstk... thing, and I keep getting a message that the HD coudl not be repaired. Doesn't sound good.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try running the SMART Utility and see what it has to say about your drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
I was able to reboot with the sl dvd (I was forgetting to hold down c!!??). I ran the disk utility and it said that the hard drive could not be repaired and that I should try to save as much data as possible.

Can I download smart utility to my computer given where it keeps getting stuck? Is it worth investing in trying to repair this disk or should I cut bait and buy a new one?

Thanks...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.