Can't open itunes or access Apple website properly

Reaction score
Hi, I have a early 2008 Mac. Recently, having already upgraded to El Capitan, I decided that due to frustratingly long wait times on anything I did I would go back to Snow Leopard 10.6.4 in the hope I could get some speed back into my Mac. Doing this has been a disaster as, unbeknown to me, it meant iCloud and itunes/mail would no longer work. Not just for my Mac but also my wife's brand new Mac pro book and my Apple TV. Presumably these are all linked somehow?

It an attempt to fix this I upgraded back up to Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Having got here, I am now in the position where I can go no further. For some reason, I can no longer get any link with the Apple store dealing with support/os upgrades to load in my browser - I can load into the Apple website and look at most things and links, but anything related to support/os upgrades times out.

So I am now stuck. I am willing to go back to El Capitan in the hope I can everything to work again, and can see from the Apple website that it is possible to upgrade directly from 10.6.8 to El Capitan. But I simply can't get any link that I click on to work.

Any help to get me through my impasse would be appreciated.

Redman72.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You need to log in to the Mac App Store, which is in your Applications folder (or Dock). Once you log in to the store, look for Purchases, from there you should be able to re-download El Capitan. Before installing, check this out to create a bootable USB installer, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372.

Make sure you have all your important files (audio, video, images, and documents) backed up to a second disk.

Can you give the specifications of 2008 Mac? Model? Processor? Ram? HDD size and space available?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi, I have a early 2008 Mac. Recently, having already upgraded to El Capitan, I decided that due to frustratingly long wait times on anything I did I would go back to Snow Leopard 10.6.4 in the hope I could get some speed back into my Mac. Doing this has been a disaster as, unbeknown to me, it meant iCloud and itunes/mail would no longer work. Not just for my Mac but also my wife's brand new Mac pro book and my Apple TV. Presumably these are all linked somehow?

They're linked only if you and your wife are using the same Apple ID. The way to avoid going back to El Capitan is for you to obtain a separate Apple ID for your wife. Since she has a new MBP which is likely running El Capitan already, her Apple ID will allow her to use iCloud, iTunes, and updates as before. You can keep your iMac at 10.6.8 but you will be unable to use any of the modern updated apps.

You stated your 2008 iMac ran slow... how much memory does it have and how full is the hard drive? Perhaps if you beef it up, you can do better with El Capitan. Also be sure to backup everything as advised by member "ferrarr".

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks Ferrarr - my problem it that get into the App Store properly. when I click on your link for example my browser times out. but I have no problem loading any other website of my choosing. any other ideas?

OP
R
Reaction score
Chscag thanks for your response. Apple ID may be the problem. How do I get another one of those? I can't access the Apple App Store form my Mac. although can access from my wife's Air book.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.