Can't Open Encrypted .dmg With Password!

Reaction score
Hey guys. As the title says, I used Disk Utility to encrypt a folder. I have opened it many times, the password is one I use often. in fact only a few days ago I opened it. I can't open it now, despite using the correct password. Hoping to get some advice. Is there an app that can 'repair' a .dmg file? Thank you.

Reaction score
Did you try restoring it from a backup? I've not run into this problem on a Mac but I've seen a lot of things stop working on a PC and restoring the original has always solved the problem.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm with @rbpeirce on this. Just open your Time Machine backup, go back a few days and identify the Folder, then "Restore".

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Agreed, and this is a great idea, but I don't use Time Machine. This encrypted .dmg of a folder is on an external HD that I use to backup my native drive via SuperDuper. It is a bootable copy of my HD. So I don't think there is a way to restore it, it just is what it is, I believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I use to backup my native drive via SuperDuper.

It seems that you can restore individual Files from Super Duper according to my Google research. I was an ardent user of SuperDuper and still use it on an old Mac. In recent years, I have used Carbon Copy Cloner. They are similar in their function.

Worth a try or contact SuperDuper. They are very helpful.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you have used Disk Utility to create an encrypted .dmg and it will no longer open with the correct password I suggest you make absolutely sure you are using the correct password. Make sure you don't have Caps Lock on or if you have the password recorded somewhere on your computer try copying and pasting the password into the password field.

As you don't have a TM backup there really aren't too many other options unless, as others have suggested, you can restore your files from SuperDuper. I don't use that app myself.

I have used the Disk Utility created encrypted .dmg's for various purposes myself over the years and I'm very aware that if the password is lost the only option is to erase the .dmg thus losing the contents in order to reclaim the storage space it used. Fortunately that can be done without the password.

So, not too many suggestions here, just make sure you are using the right password.(y)

Reaction score
I use SD!. Assuming the backup itself isn't encrypted you can mount the drive and copy the folder back to your main drive. One problem is when the backup was made. Hopefully it was before the problem occurred. I keep older backups for that reason.

If you aren't aware of it you can schedule SD! backups. I use a cascade system. Assuming you do this weekly you can backup the second oldest to the oldest, the third oldest to the second and so on. I actually keep the last four weeks and the last three months and I use two drives with alternating weeks/months so I am pretty well covered. Two TM backups keep daily backups for 2-3 week. With the latest APFS file system this has become really easy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.