• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't open a single QT movie file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have a dashcam in my car and I have just tried to open some of the .mov flies on both my MacBook Pro 13 and my iMac. All of the files open except for one single file. I get the message "QuickTime Player can't open "xxxxxxxxxxx.MOV". It had to be the one I was particularly interested in!

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 15.47.51.png

Is there any idea how I can get around this one please?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Unfortunately, that message doesn't give us much to go on. Sometimes Apple's error messages are less-than-helpful.

The last time I got that kind of message something had apparently gone wrong in the process of saving the file. You might give VLC a try. IT sometimes opens files That QuickTime Player can't open. It can't hurt to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you copy the file to the internal drive, or are you trying from the camera card?

I also agree with @Slydude as vlc opens almost everything I throw at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Also MPEGStreamclip, as long as you are not on Catalina.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Worth a try, but I doubt that will work. That sequence activates QuickLook. Unless one adds third-party extensions, QuickLook generally can't handle files that QuickTime has trouble playing.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Unfortunately, that message doesn't give us much to go on. Sometimes Apple's error messages are less-than-helpful.

The last time I got that kind of message something had apparently gone wrong in the process of saving the file. You might give VLC a try. IT sometimes opens files That QuickTime Player can't open. It can't hurt to try.

The file I'm having trouble with is 317 meg, but shows up on VLC as a time duration of '00:00' so no hope there SD.

Patrick, hitting space bar has no effect mate.

Ferarr, I have tried it from both the card in our MacBook Pro and iMac and downloaded it to both and tried it direct from them with the same result using both Quick Time Player and VLC

MG I have downloaded MPEG Streamclip, but problems with that one too unfortunately.

First

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 09.11.01.png

So I hit Open anyway and

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 09.11.28.png

Do I think that I have a really duff file and have lost it. I have also looked at the files from different days and times and there are several that will not open by pressing the space bar.

I think that I have sorted the problem both with the files and the camera?

The camera is a Next Base 402G which was a Which magazine best buy when I bought it several years back. and I have been very pleased with it. I decided to have a look at their support site and finished up phoning them. A really helpful bloke answered and talked me through all sorts of actions and it came out that I have a 64gig card in the camera. He told me that it only supports up to 32gig in that camera and that was probably the reason for the problems? When I told him that it was the card that was recommended he just said that he would 'pop' a 32gig card in the post, no charge!

That is what I call SERVICE! It's lovely to see that there are still companies who still believe in that magic word.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It had certainly been service with a smile! I now have the 32gig card plus to that I ordered a new battery as the old one wasn't holding a charge. That arrived this morning too and I will fit the camera back in our car this afternoon.

Then I will see what gives next time we go out and let you know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.