Can't log on to networked MacBook

Reaction score
I have a five year old MacBook Pro that I have just reformatted and upgraded with Yosemite.

I have a Windows Vista machine that has already had a network set up called HomeWireless and a workgroup called "Workgroup"

Previously, my MacBook was happily connected to the network and they could read each others shared folders. (I was using Mavericks)

I cannot now, for the life of me, successfully connect the Vista machine to the MacBook to read it's files althought the Mac is happily reading the Windows shared folders.

Here are my details;

My Macbook seems to be called MACBOOKPRO-C1D0

I have an account on the Mac in the "staff" group with an account name of "JohnMc" and full name "John McDonald" the home directory is, therefore, named: /Users/JohnMc

I have set file sharing so that all accounts have full read/write access to all the shared folders. In the sharing section I have Computer Name "ZEN" and underneath it says that "Computers in your local network can access your computer at: ZEN.local."

I have switched on Share Files and folders using both SMB and AFP. Under each of the options it says "Number of Users connected: 0"

It says that other users can access volumes at "afp://192.168.1.11" or "smb://192.168.1.11"

I have set a password to login to my MacBook account as "password" (obviously not my real password)

Now, in the Vista machine, if I go to networks, it shows the MacBook as "MACBOOKPRO-C1D0"

So far so good. At least I know the MacBook is networked.

However, when I try to connect to it, I get a login popup asking me for username and password. I have tried every possible combination I can think of to login to the Macbook and nothing works.

In Username I have tried JohnMc, John McDonald, ZEN\JohnMc, ZEN.local\JohnMc, MACBOOKPRO-C1D0\JohnMc, MACBOOKPRO-C1D0.local\JohnMc and entered my password and it just keep rejecting me saying "Logon Unsuccessful"

I'm tearing my har out here. I've wasted days trying to sort it. Non of the online tutorials seem to help as they just say enter username and password. Some of them seem to suggest that it should just log on without that.

Can anyone help me?

Yours in frustration

Reaction score
in the file sharing option, under windows file sharing, which account do you have enabled?

Reaction score
not sure what to tell you john. we can try to change the workgroup on your windows to something else. for example, change to : JOHN

then goto your mac and join JOHN workgroup and try to login again. you should only need to login using John McDonald.

btw, the name you see in the PC network that shows up is the NETBIOS name (not the computer name, although they could be the same). in your case MACBOOKPRO-C1D0 is your netbios name (sys prefs > network > wins).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.