Can't install programs after Windows install

Reaction score
I installed Windows XP on my iMac and it worked fine until I installed Bootcamp and mac drivers. Now I can not install programs. I can copy data from disks but any install disk freezes my machine up. Should I uninstall Bootcamp and start over?:(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which programs are you trying to install? Freeze ups in Windows usually have to do with improper video graphic drivers. Are you certain that you have installed all the necessary drivers for Windows XP?

If you go to Control Panel, System, Hardware Devices, and open the hardware tree, are all the drivers OK? In other words, are there any hardware items that have an exclamation mark over them ( ! ) ?

Don't remove Windows or use the Boot Camp assistant to recover the hard drive space yet. Let's see if we can figure out what's wrong first.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply

Sorry I took so long to answer. Have not been feeling well. I have Windows XP installed and my email working. I can download and install from the internet but if i put a disk in to install, it does not find the exe file and it freezes up my PC if I click on anything. I have to shut down using the on- off button and I hate to keep doing that.
I can copy data and photos from a CD but if I open any program install CD it does not even show an install exe.
Any suggestions?
I have no yellow checks in Device Manager. It says everything is working good.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you can install programs from the internet which you have downloaded but can't from a CD, it may be that your DVD drive is not recognized in Windows or is not working for some reason.

When you opened the hardware tree (as I suggested in a previous reply) was the DVD drive listed? Also, when you open "My Computer" is your DVD drive listed as drive D? Can you read files from it?

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, the DVD drive is listed both in the Device Manager and in My Computer. I can open a DVD to read and copy from it but it will not show any install exe. When I click on anything in an install program DVD it freezes my computer.
I did put my McAfee software in this morning and it installed right away but when I put another CD in it froze my computer.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If, as in your case, one program installs just fine from CD and another doesn't, I'd have to suspect the disc of that 2nd program and not Windows.

Try cleaning the disc even if it doesn't appear to need it. If you don't have a disc cleaner/repair system - I just use a paper towel slightly moistened. The proper way to clean a CD/DVD is to wipe in a straight line from the inside out on the disc, not in a circular motion around the disc.

OP
P
Reaction score
I find that I can install some disks and not others. Larger ones start to install and then freeze up. This is a new hard drive. Is it possible that it could be bad?
I have other problems as well, I am finding. I no longer have the annoying start up sound. And when I go from Windows to Mac I get an error message, I wasn't able to get it all down but it said McS (and something else) and Host error. Then it starts in Mac
Also there is a box on my Mac screen called Untitled and in it are my windows files.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. Possible - not likely if you're not having any issues in OS X.
2. Need more than that.
3. That is your Windows partition. It would be called Untitled if you have not named the volume. Totally normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.