Can't install licensed Office 2011 on a Macintosh computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
To Clarify: The step-by-step isn't a Microsoft provided solution. It is from a member of the user group that I linked in Reply #16.
Microsoft's solution was "Office isn't going to work on your computer."

From Patrick: And I wonder if it will work the second and third times for different users??? Sort of bizarre...

Surprisingly, with one added step, the routine did work for me on Installation Round Two, Round Three, etc.
Why Round Two, etc.?
Over time, Word & Excel get glitchy. Sometimes even an holistic group intervention doesn't work, so I euthanize the application and start over.

I use this clunky method, but on occasion I have had to add the extra step of removing the file with the license key manually. The same key can be reused on the reinstallation.

Microsoft Office isn't the only application that requires a strange work-around for reinstallation. I have TurboCAD and the steps I came up with to reinstall that make the Office routine look simple.

Worst Case:
Perhaps it would work for the OP to reinstall the Mac OS and do not update it until Office is reinstalled.
At that point, I'd have to decide if Office was worth the work.

Best Plan Yet:
When (if) I get a new computer, I plan to abandon Office 2011 & use Chscag's suggestion from Reply #6 of Free Office.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning! Danger! Caution! Unsolicited Editorial Comment Ahead...

Ideally, we purchase applications & expect that they should continue to work on the same computer for which we purchased them.
If we bought a car, we'd expect that it should work with the same key for as long as we maintain it. The car company doesn't have the right to suddenly make the key obsolete.

But, in reality, operating systems & applications receive updates, thus they are changed from their original state. Usually these updates are necessary for security or problem repair reasons. Therefore, the application may require a work-around to reinstall or even to use.

Going back to the car analogy, even though I do expect the auto manufacturer to never "delete" my ignition key, I cannot expect them to make parts for this car forever. (Illustrated: Can't expect Microsoft to make Office compatible with the updated OS forever.)

Microsoft is a software company. It's how they make their money. If we didn't buy new stuff, they would make no money. Therefore, other than some customer loyalty, there is no incentive to spend money supporting applications forever.
GM is a car making company. If we didn't buy new cars, they would make no money. There is no incentive for them to make parts forever.

For cars, we have aftermarket parts makers.
For software, we have user groups, like Mac-Forums, where helpful people create & share aftermarket solutions.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Two things occurred to me when I read this thread last night:
1. Does the process work if you just quit open apps rather than using force quit?
2. Is it possible that the real issue here is some kind of interaction between the Office installer and something needed by the third-psty backup utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two things occurred to me when I read this thread last night:
1. Does the process work if you just quit open apps rather than using force quit?
2. Is it possible that the real issue here is some kind of interaction between the Office installer and something needed by the third-psty backup utility?

My first tries were with Time Machine and my 3rd party backup utility off and all applications shut down. No success.
Force-Quit (with backups still off) worked. I have no idea why this worked, since the same apps I manually quit were the ones I force quit.

I do wonder, however, why it worked with the background apps that we see in Activity Monitor still running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Can I ask how you "shut down" the apps that you ended up Force Quitting? If you clicked the "X," that is not quitting, just pushing the app into the background, still running. You have to actually choose to Quit from the top menu bar or use CMD-Q to quit an app. That might be why using Force Quit worked because that actually quit the app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Asked By jake: "Can I ask how you "shut down" the apps that you ended up Force Quitting?"

I used Option-Command-Escape to bring up the Force Quit dialog. Then chose the app & closed it.

Choosing Quit from the menu bar (or Cmd-Q) sometimes would not shut down the app, or it would re-open.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.