Can't get rid of a threat called SeacrhMarquis

Reaction score
I've done a search here, and haven't come across anything about this rotten crap.

When I do research about it, the removal tool that comes up most frequently is called Combo Cleaner. Did they make the threat??? Hmmmm...

Any way, this "search engine" keeps coming up on my husband's computer (running High Sierra) when he opens Firefox. I've made the changes in Firefox's preferences, but after a while, SearchMarquis comes back.

We currently use Bitdefender, and it has apparently found the threat, but says we have to remove it manually. THAT is the problem. Nothing I've tried has worked. I can't even find the files most of the help is telling me to look for. I'm not keen on paying for another removal tool, but if I have to, I guess I will. Do any of you have any ideas on how to remove this blasted crap?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Download DetectX (see link in my signature). It's proving to be very effective so far for some members here. Let us know how it works out. It's free to use for home use. I don't recommend BitDefender, None of us do, but we'll come back to that.

M

MBAmtloin

wow lots of problems with safari (2), we need to be more careful and always back up our data incase that happens to you! the toughest glass can be broken with the smallest pebble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you looked in Safari > Preferences > Search?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It's Firefox, not Safari. In post #1:
Any way, this "search engine" keeps coming up on my husband's computer (running High Sierra) when he opens Firefox. I've made the changes in Firefox's preferences, but after a while, SearchMarquis comes back.
I added the bolding.

OP
T
Reaction score
Download DetectX (see link in my signature). It's proving to be very effective so far for some members here. Let us know how it works out. It's free to use for home use. I don't recommend BitDefender, None of us do, but we'll come back to that.

Thanks for your response. I'll give it a try, and let you know the results.

And, I'm interested about BitDefender. I did go to several Mac sites, and it came fairly highly recommended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for your response. I'll give it a try, and let you know the results.

And, I'm interested about BitDefender. I did go to several Mac sites, and it came fairly highly recommended.

Anti-malware software in general for macOS is unnecessary; add needless overhead on your system; and can cause problems of their own. macOS already has built-in malware protection called XProtect, although it isn't wholly foolproof and some of us, myself included, are of the opinion that it's fine to keep a second piece of malware software around to run only on demand as a second opinion, particularly as a troubleshooting option.

You have to be very wary of publications that "highly recommend" software. There are a lot of sites run by the developers of these same products touting them (the equivalent of infomercials) and a lot of tech sites have writers that quite frankly aren't all that "tech savvy". Many also rely on ad sponsorship by the very people whose products they "highly recommend". PC Magazine is one of the worst in this regard.

The reality is that there are no viruses for macOS, which are the most dangerous kind of malware that were most problematic for Windows in the past. This is a very specific kind of malware that can insert its code into other software, like a real-world virus does to cells. I believe these are potentially the only kind of malware that a real-time scanner may have any practical value to be used for, but since they don't exist in macOS, there's no need for it. Now, there are other types of malware out there for macOS, and while none of them can get on your system without your permission, mistakes do happen and people get tricked. That's why trojans are called what they are.

Adware is a growing problem in particular lately, so it's not imprudent to want to be careful, but going nuclear can cause its own problems. A quick perusal of these forums can validate that. Here, we previously advocated for Adware Medic, then Malwarebytes when they bought AM out and brought the developer on board. It's free to use on demand, but you can pay for a subscription if you want to schedule regular scans. I think it will even do live scans, but we've never advocated for that. But even that has started to fall out of favor as we're finding DetectX to be incredible. I know of two members here who found adware after being advised to try it recently and it found a piece of malware on my mother-in-law's iMac that Malwarebytes caught a couple years ago but apparently missed one component of. Other regulars know of other success stories... I'd been inactive here for some time and only learned about it a couple months ago when I started seeing it mentioned in posts here.

What's really great about DetectX is it can be set up to monitor changes to the locations that software is loaded from on startup (there are a few different places this is done from). If those locations are changed, DetectX will launch to alert you and offer to run a scan to see if there is any malware detected. The nice thing about this is it's not an active scanner constantly checking your system activity. The app itself isn't even running in the background. If I understand it correctly, macOS itself is screening for the changes based on a script that DetectX sets and launching DetectX if changes are made. This is also a very practical approach because any malware that gets installed in macOS also is going to need to get launched on startup. So rather than constantly checking EVERYTHING on your system, it's faster and more practical to just check the launch folders for changes, then scan the whole system if triggered. It's truly brilliant. And it's free for home users!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
+1 for everything Lifeisabeach said. Not only are there no viruses for the macOS now, but also there aren't even any vectors by which a virus could attack. macOS has pretty strong inherent security, no known weaknesses to be exploited and no known viruses. So that antivirus software doesn't have anything to catch or anything to watch. AV on a Mac is a total waste of money and cpu. Just. Say. No.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.