Can't find my Applications Folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
I am running Catalina 10.15.6 on my iMac and I wanted to delete some software; so I clicked on my finder icon and my 'applications' folder is not in my block of favourites. I have searched everywhere I think it might be but no luck at all even looked in Launchpad - not there either. Does anyone have any ideas please as to where it might be hiding?

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In an open Finder window, select Finder > Preferences, then select Sidebar and check what has been enabled for display.

The proper locations for Applications is: Macintosh HD > Applications. There is also another Applications folder located in Macintosh HD > Users > "sllewk" ( your user Home folder) > Applications.

Once you find the one in Macintosh HD, you can drag a copy of it to the sidebar again.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Keith,

What you need to do is Open Finder.

Then Click on the Finder icon, - top left of the menu bar next to the Apple icon - and from the Dropdown, choose Preferences.

You are now in Finder > Preferences

Click on Sidebar.

It will look like this:

Screenshot 2020-09-29 at 11.48.51 am☀️.png

Check the box adjacent to Applications (as above).

This is where you decide what appears in your Finder Sidebar.

Ian

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Ian, nice to see you again, hope all is well? We are OK thank goodness. You were instrumental in solving my problem because without your timely intervention I would not have been able to solve the problem. My thanks also go to Ferrarr for your help as well. Between you you both put me on the right track. Thank you.

Regards from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
I've just had a similar problem to Keith and solved it by followoing IWT's instructions. I'd only add that to see the list of ticked Apps I clicked on 'Favourites' which opened up the list to reveal 'Applications'.

But why it disappeared in the first place remains a mystery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021, 256GB 16GB memory. MBA M1 2020 256GB, 8GB memory.
Very good U.S. U.K. relationship going on ;)here (no politics!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.