Cant find backup drive to boot from after upgrading to Maverick

Reaction score
Hello

I have just upgraded from 10.7.5 Lion to 10.9.5 Maverick.

Before doing that I cloned and tested 10.7.5 on backup drive using Carbon Copy Cloner

After successfully upgrading to 10.9.5, I tried to restart from my 10.7.5 backupdrive, but Maverick does not see any backup drive to boo from on restart.

Is there anyway I can get Maverick to boot from my Lion backup drive???

Thanks for ant suggestions

M

MacInWin

Did you try booting while holding down the Option key all the way through? From the resulting screen you can then choose the Lion drive to boot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello
I have just upgraded from 10.7.5 Lion to 10.9.5 Maverick.

Before doing that I cloned and tested 10.7.5 on backup drive using Carbon Copy Cloner

After successfully upgrading to 10.9.5, I tried to restart from my 10.7.5 backupdrive, but Maverick does not see any backup drive to boo from on restart.

Is there anyway I can get Maverick to boot from my Lion backup drive???

With your cloned drive plugged into your computer w/ Mavericks booted, do you see the drive in Finder? I just attached my external HD, which I use in two partitions to clone (using CCC) my iMac & my MBPro to my laptop - the drive shows up in Finder - also, if I go to System Preferences -> Startup Disk, I see both partitions (see attached pic) and could select to boot from the Macbook Pro clone - do you see that on your computer? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 5.32.55 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you do the back to an external drive? if not that is what you should do as when the hard drive fails, and the all do, it will take your backup with it. RadDave has indicated how to find if all on the one drive.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes thanks everyone

Before upgrading I could boot from backup drive by powering up while pressing cntrol key, and then I could select the drive I wanted to boot from. After upgrading to Maverick, and the using the same procedure, Maverick did not provide the option to boot from backup drive, though I could see the backup drive once Maverick was up and running.

I never though of selecting this from Preferences, so now I am fine and thanks for all the suggestions

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Something is still a tad out of whack here. Maverick should allow you to hold down the Option key and boot from the external drive. I've done it several times in the last two days so I know it still works. That can be important as there are some times when you are unable to get to the Startup preference pane to select a drive. Make sure you are holding down the Option key. Not the control key as your post suggests.

If that does not work try the following: Now that you can see the external drive go to the Startup pane and attempt to reboot. I'm betting it won't work otherwise it should have appeared in the drive list when you held down the Option key.

Let us know the results and we'll go from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Still no answer if you are using an external hard drive, or simply a partition on the internal. If the latter suggest you invest in a caddy and external hard drive for your backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.