Cant decide

Reaction score
hey i am trying to decide which mac to get for college next year. I am debating between a low-end macbook pro or a 4gb ram 320gb macbook. Does anyone have any advice. There is really not that big of a difference between the two besides the actual material for the exterior and the led keyboard on the pro.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, buy the best machine you can afford when you need it. Spec-wise, the MacBook Pro is not that much different, but it does have firewire and is made from better materials. Should hold up a lot better than the white plastic, and be worth more should you want to sell it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 10.7.2, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD; iPhone 4S 16GB
Yeah, if you anticipate taking the laptop with you wherever you go, it might be good to go with the pro. However, I've had my normal Macbook for about 2 and a half years and the exterior is holding up just fine.

OP
T
Reaction score
i also do not know when to buy the computer because if i wait for the college deal in the summer to update my ipod with the free one in the deal, apple will be clearing the stock of their old computers to make way for new models in the fall. But i cannot really wait until october for a new computer but i would like it to be as new as possible when i leave for college in september.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Last year I got the free iPod Touch deal during July or June (can't really remember), so if they have that deal again it will likely be during the summer and not necessarily October.

By the summer, there will most likely be a new MBP. The last one got updated in June of 2009, so it may be around then.

OP
T
Reaction score
i know i was saying i would skip the deal in the summer and wait until the new macbooks arrive in around october, thats when they usually are released i believe.

Reaction score
If you want to get the best deal, wait until the new Macbooks arrive and then get the last generation when they put it on refurb. Save a few hundred dollars (or get a few hundred dollar more expensive computer) that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.