can't control click.....

F

flameape

having a problem- today, for some reason, when i try to control-click on a file or folder (to get menu options for the file) it closes the finder window or relaunches finder if i try to do it on a file on the desktop!

i recently did some regular verify/repair permissions and verify/repair disk- other than that- nothing crazy. any ideas?

OP
T

toddmiddendorf

right-clicking on desktop causes Finder to restart

I am having the same control-click problem on the OSX desktop. Any control-click on the desktop or icons (even the MAC HD icon) just cause the finder to either disappear or restart. It does not affect the icons in the dock.

Doeas ANYONE have ANY ideas? I've already tried repairing permissions and this is really aggravating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.2GHz 256 RAM+512 Added=768 MB RAM 60 GB Hard Disk
I'm sorry to dig this thread up but I've been having these problems as well. I'm running OS X 10.4. It seemed to kind of originate from Earth Desk. Does anyone else know about this? I've searched around and never seemed to find a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Go to > user Library > Preferences > ctrl click com.apple.finder.plist and send it to the trash. Finder will make itself a new one.
With odd things like this it's usually the plist file that is causing the problem.
Best.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Uhm Torchy he can't Control-click! LOL

Just grab the plist file and drag it to the trash. Restart. See if this has cleared up the problem. In case it wasn't clear, the name of the file is com.apple.finder.plist.

Let us know what gives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't seem to work; I've deleted all of the .plist files even on other users and sometimes it still happens.

I could control-click; just sometimes it would randomly relaunch the Finder window. Before, when this happened, I saw the Earth Desk menu bar pop in through the top of the screen. Now, I've deleted the entire Earth Desk program, no caches or anything I know of are left.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've tried a test-- I control-clicked across the desktop; after the first five clicks the Finder was fine- every time. Every time, on the sixth click, Finder quit and relaunched.

I need some input on this please. It would be hard for me to go back and reinstall the system.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Which version of OS X are you using? You haven't said yet. And 10.3.6 is not the same necessarily as 10.4.6...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16 GHz
This is the same problem I'm having. It is driving me nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using 10.4.8- the latest. (other than Leopard)

Edit- I've found the solution! After finally inputting the correct Google search, I've found to empty the Contextual Menu Items folder. It solved the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.