Can't connect note 4 to Airport

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Air 1.3GHz i5/4GB DDR3/256 flash storage
So previously I had always had my phone and other devices connected to my airport with no problem. I had stopped using it as I had been in a hotel for a bit that required a login and thus couldn't use my airport. Now that I'm back home for some reason when I try to connect with my phone or my fiancees phone which is an iphone 6 they will not. My macbook air connects fine but neither phone will. The firmware is up to date and this is the first time I've had this issue.

I did also for some reason have to delete my old network and make a new one for the airport to actually connect properly when I first connected it back when at our new apartment as well.

Not sure what settings information may be helpful in diagnosing this.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your MacBook Air connects, then we have to assume you're setup OK as far as your ISP is concerned, so it must be the way you're trying to connect with the phones. I have no knowledge of the Note 4 but the iPhone 6 is easy to connect. First, make sure that WiFi is turned on (not WiFi calling), and that you can "see" the name of your network. After that, it's just a matter of selecting your network, entering the correct password, and connecting.

One thing I should mention... and that is to make sure your router or modem is broadcasting your SSID (your network name) as it can be difficult to connect otherwise. Also it may be helpful on the iPhone 6 to turn off "Ask to join other networks".

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The network is broadcast as it shows up and I've put the password in multiple times and with my android it says connecting, then avoided poor connection or saved. With my fiancees iphone it just keeps trying to connect but never does.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which Airport unit do you have? Also, if you have another router handy, you might try setting that up. And... is your Airport connected directly to your ISP LAN or are you bridging it from an ISP router?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do not have another router or I would try that. My nexus 7 also will not connect to it either. My Airport is directly connected to my cable modem. Its the 2TB unit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What type of encryption are you using from your Airport? You should be using WPA2 for all your devices including the MBA. What I don't understand is if your MBA is connecting, then all the other devices should easily connect. It seems none of your mobile devices are able to connect which is strange. I'm not familiar with the settings on the Airport unit as we use FIOS here in Fort Worth; modem is not required. Check the settings on your Airport unit to make sure everything is correct.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using WPA/WPA2.

What setting should I check? We're using charter. I had previously been able to get it working when I was at a hotel using an ethernet line just fine a few months back before it had switched to wifi only.

Thanks

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried changing the password to no avail. I never messed with the settings before so I don't know what I would need to check or change

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Figured it out, had to change the network settings to dhcp and nat.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's great, glad to hear you figured it out. Strange though that your MBA was working OK not using DHCP.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is strange. If you see this, what were the settings before you changed them to NAT and DHCP?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is strange. If you see this, what were the settings before you changed them to NAT and DHCP?

It was on off(bridge mode). When I changed it to DHCP and NAT my note 4, my fiancees iphone 6 and nexus 7(2013) instantly connected. That was all I changed.

I agree chscag.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That makes sense then. I wonder how the settings got changed as before your trip it worked. Oh well, Glad you got it sorted!!

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That makes sense then. I wonder how the settings got changed as before your trip it worked. Oh well, Glad you got it sorted!!

Yea I'm definitely glad I did. Not sure how or why they got changed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.