Cant connect early 2012 MBP to Sony 4k TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP i7 2.6 GHz 16GB Ram Catalina. iPad Air 2, iPhone 12
Been trying to connect my MBP to my TV using a mini display port to HDMI lead have also tried with my other MB with no results. I know I am trying the correct tv input as they are numbered and the one I am using (No.3) is the only one that when I switch to it the MB screen flickers momentarily. Am I possibly missing a setting somewhere? My MBP is early 2012 and my TV is a Sony KD-55 XF7596 4k.

any ideas much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Are you sure you have things set to compatible settings and if your Macbook will actually work with that TV set the way and at the resolution you want to use???

Maybe check it out here:
Use 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac
Use 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support

I have also read that some cables may not work so maybe try another brand or a known good cable.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If your MBP is not a retina model, I don't believe it can work a 4K tv.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe this article will be a little bit more helpful and forgiving than what Apple provides:

How to connect 4K monitors to your Mac, even on some older models without official support
How to connect 4K monitors to your Mac, even on some older models without official support

Apple's document doesn't tell the whole story. There are computers outside Apple's officially supported machines that can push 4K video, and other things users can do to enhance the experience, even if they are on the supported list.
[/QUOTE]
MacBook Pro
While Apple support is limited to the 2013 Retina MacBook Pro line, owners of the original 2012 model running aren't left out in the cold. With proper cabling, and some configuration, the 2012 model can display 4K video, at 30Hz —sufficient for nearly everything but gaming for most users.
[Bold mine]

PS: Learn to accept the fact that Apple doesn't really always call things the way they can be or actual fact.

It just might be worthwhile trying what the article says. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you sure you have things set to compatible settings and if your Macbook will actually work with that TV set the way and at the resolution you want to use???

Maybe check it out here:
Use 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac
Use 4K displays, 5K displays, and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support

I have also read that some cables may not work so maybe try another brand or a known good cable.

- Patrick
======

I looked at 3 or 4 advice pages before I tried to set it up and to be honest got quite a bit of contradictory advice which confused the **** out of me. Will check things out further. Many thanks,

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your MBP is not a retina model, I don't believe it can work a 4K tv.

Could be my problem. Needs further investigation, I have a couple of leads to try. Thanks, will post any progress.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated but have now come to the conclusion my MB is too old to connect. I checked out the Apple support page and as the tv is 4k Retina UHD it seems I am stuffed. My mb is non retina and listed nowhere in the compatible machines lists. I have also been into display settings and tried the detect device button but nothing shows. I have an older tv somewhere in the loft that will hopefully be ok.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated but have now come to the conclusion my MB is too old to connect.

Did you chekout or read the webpage URL (post #5) outlining support for older models I posted.

It seems quite feasible as I read it. But maybe a bit too geeky for some to tackle.

- Patrick
======

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that Pat. I did look last night but it was late and I didn't really take it all in. I will have another look after work today.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.