Can't add artwork to a specific track in Music

Reaction score
I went thru my collection and added the artwork to any tracks that were missing it except for one track. I add the artwork but it doesn't get saved.

Get Info from Finder doesn't show anything peculiar about the track. It isn't locked and looks exactly the same as the other tracks in the album. The Unix "ls -l" command also produces results identical to the other tracks, except of course for size. The Unix "touch" command updated the date for all the tracks but I still can't add the artwork.

I don't know what else to try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
How are you trying to add the artwork? What app? Music? iTunes? Something else? Hard to help with "it doesn't work" as all we know.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
How are you trying to add the artwork? What app? Music? iTunes? Something else? Hard to help with "it doesn't work" as all we know.
I specified Music. I open the track in Music using the Get Info dropdown. Then I click the artwork tab and copy and paste from a source. This has worked in EVERY case but one.

I paste it and I see it but if I exit or move to the next track it is not there when I return.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm sure you're doing the right thing as you are very conscientious, but here's Apple's suggestions for Monterey and Ventura:

It looks as though are following the rules as far as I can see. Maybe just check?

Ian

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I'm sure you're doing the right thing as you are very conscientious, but here's Apple's suggestions for Monterey and Ventura:

It looks as though are following the rules as far as I can see. Maybe just check?

Ian

What I'm doing has worked in EVERY case but one. That one is one track in an album where all the other tracks have artwork. I add the artwork same as other tracks but it just doesn't save. I also tried adding artwork at the OS Get Info level but that didn't do anything. Possibly it can't. Frustrating.

Reaction score
I had this happen before. When it did, I quit the app and powered my laptop off, booted up again and opened up the app, which, if I recall correctly, seemed to do the trick. Have you tried that yet?

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I had this happen before. When it did, I quit the app and powered my laptop off, booted up again and opened up the app, which, if I recall correctly, seemed to do the trick. Have you tried that yet?

I thought I had but I did it again just to be sure. It didn't sol ve the problem.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I got it. The art wasn't in the file itself so I added it with Subler. After doing that Music was able to add it to the musiclibrary file. I had been working on the assumption it was the other way around. That worked for everything else but it was probably because the artwork was already in the track files. I just never thought to check that.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I was wrong. I had a complete album without artwork in .musiclibrary or in the individual track files. I added it using Music and it worked. I guess there was something unique about the track file that was giving my problems.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Further evidence that iTune/Music artwork is stored in the iTunes/Music database. My music is on an external HD that I can move from computer to computer. I attached the drive to one computer and made sure all the artwork was added. When I moved the drive to another computer some artwork was missing and it wasn't necessarily the artwork that had been missing on the first computer. In all cases the artwork was attached to the individual tracks. It just didn't show up in iTunes/Music.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I discovered a .aif track where I was able to add the artwork under Ventura but could not do it under Catalina and may not be able to do it under Mojave. Catalina and Mojave have the Album Artwork directory, which may have something to do with it.

The other .aif files in the album do have their artwork so I have no idea why I can't add it to this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.