Can't access Utilities Menu??

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi Ian, Okay so it sounds like from this ill go for option 2.
Ill go do that now and let you know how it works, and obviously theres the option of swapping in a SSD, and adding more RAM
Thanks

OP
O
Reaction score
Ian,
CMD + R boot option is not available until "after" the updated OS is installed.
It is during the installation of the new OS that the Recovery partition is created.
The downloaded installer is not bootable.
Hence, why you can't just copy the downloaded file to a flash drive instead of all the rigamarole of having to use Terminal and the 'createinstallmedia' command.

Doing it without creating a bootable installer, would mean downloading and installing 10.11 as an upgrade intallation.
Then you could boot via the CMD+R key combo to the Recovery partition just created, then erase the drive and do a clean install.

So am I installing El Capitan, then going CMD+R and doing the other steps to start fresh but with El Capitan, correct?
Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That would be correct. However, I really recommend you stop by your nearest electronics store and pick up an 8 GB flash drive and make/keep the bootable installer. They're pretty cheap nowadays and having that installer could save some grief down the line for not much money.

OP
O
Reaction score
That would be correct. However, I really recommend you stop by your nearest electronics store and pick up an 8 GB flash drive and make/keep the bootable installer. They're pretty cheap nowadays and having that installer could save some grief down the line for not much money.

What do you mean keep the bootable installer sorry?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Keep:
1) have or retain possession of
2) retain or reserve for future use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Oscar_Ross - back a few post I gave you this link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

This will walk you through how to create a bootable USB drive installer of El Capitan. You download El Capitan then follow the instructions in the link. You need an 8GB USB Flash drive to do this. When you are done you restart the laptop, hold down the Option key and select the USB Flash drive installer. The installation will start because it is bootable media (if you followed the instructions in the link correctly.)

Now when you are done - keep the USB Flash Drive for the potential emergency that could arise. ;D

I have USB installers of Maverick, Yosemite, and El Capitan - just incase. You never know when you might need one.

Lisa

OP
O
Reaction score
Oscar_Ross - back a few post I gave you this link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

This will walk you through how to create a bootable USB drive installer of El Capitan. You download El Capitan then follow the instructions in the link. You need an 8GB USB Flash drive to do this. When you are done you restart the laptop, hold down the Option key and select the USB Flash drive installer. The installation will start because it is bootable media (if you followed the instructions in the link correctly.)

Now when you are done - keep the USB Flash Drive for the potential emergency that could arise. ;D

I have USB installers of Maverick, Yosemite, and El Capitan - just incase. You never know when you might need one.

Lisa

Alright got it! Thanks for everything

Reaction score
Note: when you download El Capitan, make the bootable installer FIRST!! Before you do an install. Installing first deletes the installer you downloaded.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Haha, i mean what is a bootable installer

As mentioned. You want/need to make a bootable installer BEFORE you use the El Capitan installer the first time. The installer is deleted after it is used.

A bootable USB installer is just like the OS DVD's/CD's Apple used to distribute/sell (before download only OS's). Just like a OS install DVD/disk…a bootable USB installer can come in very handy. Especially if you have no access to the internet…or at the very least…don't have to spend all the time redownloading a 5+ gigabyte OS installer a 2nd, 3rd, 4rd, 4th, 5th, etc. time in the future.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.