Canon iR C2550 has errors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd
Canon iR C2550 has driver errors (wont print)

I can't get my laptop to print to our canon here at the office. It's a big scanner/fax/copier/printer that does color 11x17

My offices, right now, only has PC's and they are all networked and can print to the Canon. When i first turned on my Macbook pro it got on the network and saw all the other PCs no problem. I even added the printer with out problem, but the printer would beep with an error when i tried to print.

I've loaded the driver disk that came with the printer and installed the latest drivers from there, and now when i try to print the MBP gives me an error "-50" and the printer beeps saying "PDL image invalid"

This looks like a driver issue to me. I've gone to the Canon website and downloaded all the latest software from them. It's still no use.

For some back ground. I've got a 15" MBP OSX 10.6.2

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do canon printers just not work with Apples?

I need some help because i've convinced my boss to get iMacs for the office. If they don't work with our equipment then we wont get them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi:

How are you connecting to the Canon? Through the network? Wireless from your MBP?

Let's make sure you have the right drivers. According to Canon, the driver file you need to download is "canonPPD v2.85zip" from this LINK

What you might try is to attach a USB cable from the printer to your MBP and install the drivers and any Canon software that might have come with it. Get the printer working first from your machine before attempting to either network it or go wireless.

Post back results.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think i got it now. I had the printer installed as a network printer attached through on of the PCs. I deleted the printer, and reinstalled it as IP instead of as a "windows" printer.

I got the IP address from my office computer and just put it in there, then i selected the drivers from the list (same name that the PC uses)

I'm just testing it out now with illustrator. I think some of the printer options are missing. I don't see where it will let me choose the paper source.

everything prints fine though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, that's a good start. But make sure you are in fact using the correct drivers for the printer. I found out the hard way with my Canon when I tried to set it up manually. Once I installed the network drivers, it just went out by itself, obtained an IP address, even verified the network encryption, and password, and then started to work flawlessly.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help. It seems to work just fine. It prints letter and 11x17 sheets no problem. The only thing is, when i try to go into the printer settings from illustrator there isn't much options. Usually this is where i would tell it to print from the bypass tray, but it doesn't have that option. I'll play around more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.