Cannot install Sierra

Reaction score
Hi,
After a reset I try to install a new OS on my Ima (around 3 years old)
But Apple chooses to install Sierra (instead of the latest OS) probably because of the age of my Mac.
Thats not a big problem, but he doesn't do it. It does not work.
I've red somewhere that if you cannot install a lower OS when on the same computer you had a higher OS (Mojave in my case).
Anyway, it looks like one cannot not choose what OS to have installed.
Anyone the solution for this?
Thanks a lot!!!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A very warm welcome to our Forums.

We need a few points of clarification. You are quite correct. You cannot install an OS earlier than that which shipped with the Mac.

However, it would be helpful to know how you reset your Mac. This is because using one method installs the OS that was last on your Mac, whereas, the other method tries to install the original OS which came with the Mac when it first shipped out.

You also imply, I think, that you did have Mojave installed at one time or were intending to do so?

We are delighted to help and will do so, but if you could answer the questions about, that would be a great help.

It would be nice if you can tell us the exact year the Mac was built.

Please post back.

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
Dear Ian,

Thank you very much for your answer!
This is how it is: My wife has a new Mac and I am going to use hers (IMac1). So on this Imac1 I did a reset via disk utilities, I think I choose the first one called "GUID-partition" or something. (took about a few minutes).
Then I dit restart via "R" and "command R" and choose to install a new OS (without having a choice between different types of OS)
I did it several times. (The last time even I could not do any action because I couldnt connect the wireless mouse/keyboard).
For the rest: no external disks are connected and in the logfile I can see a lot of messages like "Could connect to this and this and couldnt do this and this".
I hope you have enough information to get a clear view;-)
Thanks for your time and effort,
Jan

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you very much for posting back, Jan.

I could comment on what you did and how you might have chosen a different way, but that is history now.

The problem you have the mouse and keyboard is because the Bluetooth connection is not being established any longer.

The other problem may be, I only say may be, that when you erased the Hard Drive, you also erased the Recovery Partition. If so, then the Command plus R sequence will no longer function.

Two things I can suggest. If you could find, borrow or otherwise get a wired keyboard and mouse, it would help you enormously.

Secondly, I suspect that the only way forward is to use the Internet Recovery option to install the OS which originally came with the Mac. To do this, hold down Option Command R - or Option Shift Command R on rebooting to enter Internet Recovery.

This article from Apple explains the situation: About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

See if this helps. And please don’t forget that we are still here if problems persist.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@@Grr44 Once you have completed the Internet Recovery and re-install the OS you should be able to update to a more recent OS. If the Mac is only three years old you should be able to install Mojave.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Sorry for not answering you back sooner, but I just retried and YES, everything s fine now. The machine choose to install Mojave;-)
I d like to express my appreciation for you time & effort!
Thanks and kind regards from Rotterdam,

Jan

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great news, Jan. Well done.

I've been to the Netherlands many, many times. Wonderful country. Happy memories.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.