Cannot delete message from Mail inbox

Reaction score
In the last several days I have received an error message whenever I tried to delete a message from my inbox on Mail. the error message shows the title of the message and "The operation couldn’t be completed. File exists"
This has not happened before during over 30 years of using Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What Mac, what Operating System and are you using IMAP or POP?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It may well turn out to be far more complicated, but as a simple "First Aid" measure:

Highlight your Inbox; go to the menu bar and Click on Mailbox. From the drop-down menu, select Rebuild. See if that sorts things.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
harryb2448:
Mac = iMac 4,1 Early 2006
OS = OS X 10.6.8 - Snow Leopard
IMAP/POP = POP

IWT:
I tried doing what you suggested -- Highlighted the inbox and then Mailbox>rebuild. No help.
I should mention that after leaving Mail for a while, when I return I can delete three or four messages ok, but then I start getting the same error message every time I try to delete.

Also, I should mention that I also have a laptop that receives the same messages. I can delete messages from the laptop without any problem whatsoever.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.