Can you recommend a quiet keyboard?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a quiet keyboard with Mac keys. I can look online and find plenty that are listed as "quiet" but most manufactures stretch the truth on how loud and clunky their keyboards are. I do not like to press hard AT ALL when I type and I do not want my keyboard to clank, clunk or otherwise make any annoying noises.

I currently have a Logitech K750 solar keyboard which is very quiet, but unfortunately it is solar and it is Logitech which means it sucks. I have had to have Logitech send me a new one twice now so I just want a regular wireless keyboard that is QUIET.

To me this is a simple request but it's pretty hard to find what I'm looking for and I'm tired of buying keyboards so I thought I'd see if anybody here has a recommendation. I'd like to not spend a fortune but at this point if it's quiet and will last I am willing to pay a bit more. the #1 most important feature is that it's quiet and easy to type on.

I also prefer it has the number pad.

If you have a recommendation please share with me and I would appreciate it.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OWC (macsales.com) had some of those keyboards in their Garage Sale items recently and some others and at a fraction of Apple's price. Probably some still there.

Next choice, check out matias (http://matias.ca) but they'll cost a lot more and not sure about quietness. But their keyboards get excellent rave reviews.

But I'd sure expect their "quiet Pro" line to fit your needs: :Smirk:
http://matias.ca/quietpro/

PS: They even have a "Click to compare" audio demo at their Mac keyboard page:
http://matias.ca/quietpro/mac/

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@wally247

Wally, I just noticed from a recent email flyer that OWC (macsales.com) has some "quiet" and silent Mac keyboards available and some ON SALE, including the recommended Matias Pro silent keyboards, that could save you quite a few $$$s:
https://eshop.macsales.com/search/matias pro quiet

https://eshop.macsales.com/Search/?...99831563&_bta_c=1y2m8n35z6m9vf79zfm7qu2l1srgj

BTW: Some excellent typist friends I know have recommended the Matias keyboards for years. I wouldn't know as I just peck away, but I will say a Windows type keyboard of a fellow I had to use the other day was like hitting small bulky barges that were the keys. Just awful, and my older Apple wired extended keyboard is virtually silent with a nice touch to me, and macsales et al also sell them at a fraction of Apple's price.

Just wanted to update some info here.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Patrick:

Some of those Matias keyboards being sold by OWC are just as expensive as the Apple keyboard and they do not match an iMac. And the newer Matias full numeric keyboard ($99) which does match has problems. One of our members (Lisa) purchased one and has had problems with it.

I think that all around it might be best to stick with the newer Apple wireless full numeric keyboard. It costs a bit more like most Apple stuff but it might be best. I have two full numeric wired Apple keyboards, one from 2008 and a newer one that I purchased at our local Navy base store. I also have the shorty wireless model which I'm currently using.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you Patrick and chscag,

I would consider the Apple official keyboards, but are they quiet? As I search for a quiet keyboard I get the feeling I'm a minority in caring about how loud a key clunks when you hit it. But I type a LOT and a lound clanky keyboard just annoys me. I just got a Mac Book pro and the keys are kind of loud and sticky, but it's not the biggest deal...they are not too bad.

I understand a keyboard will make noise but the ones that sound like cheap plastic are too much...I can't deal with that sound all day long.

Thanks,
w

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple keyboards are about as quiet as most, however, a lot depends on your typing habits. I type very fast but am fairly heavy on the keys so my Apple keyboard does make some noise as I type. I can only suggest that you try the keyboards first rather than purchase and have to make a return for a refund. If you're near an Apple store or Best Buy you can try that particular keyboard. The others which have been suggested from OWC (Matias) are also a good choice but would have to be returned to OWC for a refund if you are not happy with any that you might buy.

OP
W
Reaction score
I think I might just go to the store and test it out. I like the feel of the keyboard that came with my iMac but I want the number pad too, so I'll check out the magic version.

Thank you,
w

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
As Patrick said I tried the Matias wireless keyboard with numeric keypad. It kept losing connection - in the middle of typing. I would have to hit the connection key on the keyboard. I tried working with tech support and none of their suggestions helped. I ended up returning it for a refund. The company was excellent to work with so I have no complaints with them. I was using it on a 2010 Mac Pro. I have since switched back to the apple wireless keyboard and have no issues with it. I also have my eye on the new apple wireless keyboard with the numeric keyboard. I see one of those in my future. ;D

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Lisa....

All you have to do is buy the new iMac Pro which is supposed to be available this December. It comes with the new Apple wireless Magic Keyboard with numeric keypad plus the magic trackpad and mouse. A real bargain at $4999.00 for the entry level version. :p O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Lisa....

All you have to do is buy the new iMac Pro which is supposed to be available this December. It comes with the new Apple wireless Magic Keyboard with numeric keypad plus the magic trackpad and mouse. A real bargain at $4999.00 for the entry level version. :p O:)

Right - That is not happening. I tend to wait for the refurbs and the couple of year old models. I also like to be able to mod them and the iMac Pro does not allow for that. I know eventually I will have to make a decision if I stay in video work but I will make that decision when the time comes.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right about the new iMac Pro. We have learned that the memory for the iMac Pro is not user upgradeable and must be done by Apple. $$$ But I do love the new Space Gray design for the machine and add ons. It's on my wishlist. Now all I need is a pair of Red Slippers. LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's on my wishlist. Now all I need is a pair of Red Slippers. LOL.

Hmmm…?? I didn't realize that some cross-dressing might be involved here. :\

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The lengths we will go to in order to feed our tech addiction ..... ;D

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.