Can you mute/turn off sound on a particular application?

Reaction score
Is there any possible way to mute an application? I am using Yosemite 10.10.3 on a 2013 MBP.

Basically I have an application that I want to keep open but it makes noise and has ZERO sound options. The only way I can get it to not make noise is to turn my system sound off (which I don't want to do).

The only thing I've seen out there to do this is an app called AudioHijack. This app seems to have changed purposes and all linked articles about using it to mute applications on Mac are 4-5 years out of date. I don't think it is still a viable option (but if it is I'd be happy to hear about it). I just don't want anyone to link to a 5 year old article that is still out of date.

Would love to hear any thoughts/suggestions about how I could silence this obnoxious app.

One odd thing I've noticed, is when I use Facetime, the app "quiets down." Something in Facetime's operations makes it the loudest/default audio app, subordinating other things (like this app or Spotify). I'm wondering if there might be a way to use a similar feature to shut this app up!

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There might be a cheaper or free way to solve this problem. I'm not thinking of one of the moment. If you find directions for how to do this with Audio Hijack Pro 2.11 it still works Yosemite so the directions should work.

Reaction score
Audio Hijack solution

Okay, this is old but I'll post here for anyone who has Audio Hijack 3 and wants to do this. You just need to drag on the application you want to silence and then turn it off. The drag and drop setup is not as easy as the previous version but better once you get used to it. Hope this image describes it better than me. Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 12.05.07.png

http://i.imgur.com/OtiqyLQ.png

Is there any possible way to mute an application? I am using Yosemite 10.10.3 on a 2013 MBP.

Basically I have an application that I want to keep open but it makes noise and has ZERO sound options. The only way I can get it to not make noise is to turn my system sound off (which I don't want to do).

The only thing I've seen out there to do this is an app called AudioHijack. This app seems to have changed purposes and all linked articles about using it to mute applications on Mac are 4-5 years out of date. I don't think it is still a viable option (but if it is I'd be happy to hear about it). I just don't want anyone to link to a 5 year old article that is still out of date.

Would love to hear any thoughts/suggestions about how I could silence this obnoxious app.

One odd thing I've noticed, is when I use Facetime, the app "quiets down." Something in Facetime's operations makes it the loudest/default audio app, subordinating other things (like this app or Spotify). I'm wondering if there might be a way to use a similar feature to shut this app up!

Thanks for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.