Can sign in with appleid to App Store on my Mac, but can't at apple.com, iCloud.com

Reaction score
As the title says, I can sign in with my appleid to the App Store on my Mac, but can't at apple.com, iCloud.com. Any thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have more than one Apple ID? Some folks inadvertantly create more than one Apple ID and forget that they did.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
And what error do you get when you try?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are you signed into iCloud, in System Preferences > iCloud?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
Can you log out and sign in via the App Store, or are you just "signed in" on the App store?

Also: Stuck caps lock key? Key not working? I had a keyboard go on me a few years ago - I spent half the day troubleshooting before finding out that the 'e' key was dead, and I wasn't entering the full password that I thought...

OP
D
Reaction score
Do you have more than one Apple ID? Some folks inadvertantly create more than one Apple ID and forget that they did.

Yes, so I'm back on a Mac after like 10 years. Looks like I had one account which was [email protected] and another which was [email protected] (I have sometimes used my gmail address interchangeably, since google doesn't make a distinction between addresses with a . vs no ., however, these are distinct to apple). So, apparently I used the no-dot address to set up my new Mac. Then have tried to sign in to apple.com and iCloud.com but it won't let me in with the no-dot address. Also, I seem to have lost my recovery key for the original dot address.

I guess I don't understand why I can't log in to everything with the no-dot address, essentially abandoning my original dot address, since I'm logged into the new Mac with it. Or is there a way to consolidate the two accounts or something?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Gmail supports that name variation thing, it also supports "[email protected]" for the [email protected] address. I use this scheme to know who is sending me emails and if someone else uses that email address, I can quickly know that my email address was shared by that vendor to someone else.

Anyway, but I only use a single of that variation for a given site, you shouldn't be using your email address interchangeably, while GMail allows for this sort of thing, virtually all sites expect each username based on emails to be unique, so they do create different accounts on that.

If you want to combine Apple IDs, you will have to take that up with Apple, especially if you have purchases on the accounts that you don't want to lose.

Bottom line, decide what account you want to use for Apple, and if you can't login, then just reset the password and log in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Apple doesn't combine accounts. I have seen several people try, all unsuccessful. You can, however, set up family sharing between the two accounts. Family Sharing

OP
D
Reaction score
Gmail supports that name variation thing, it also supports "[email protected]" for the [email protected] address. I use this scheme to know who is sending me emails and if someone else uses that email address, I can quickly know that my email address was shared by that vendor to someone else.

Anyway, but I only use a single of that variation for a given site, you shouldn't be using your email address interchangeably, while GMail allows for this sort of thing, virtually all sites expect each username based on emails to be unique, so they do create different accounts on that.

If you want to combine Apple IDs, you will have to take that up with Apple, especially if you have purchases on the accounts that you don't want to lose.

Bottom line, decide what account you want to use for Apple, and if you can't login, then just reset the password and log in.

I think I probably tried to login and recover from my original appleid (w/dot) and couldn't, and for some reason created one with a no-dot. However, it seems like they're probably both tied to the same email account, bc I don't really use another. I think I'll need to get on the phone with Apple. This seems like a mess and oddly handled by Apple.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks, might fall back on this if I can't figure something else out.

There is no way that Apple will combine your Apple IDs. Apple has refused all attempts at that because of security. You can understand why, as it would be easy for someone then to combine your Apple ID with theirs and empty your account.

Family sharing as suggested by Jake is the only solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks, might fall back on this if I can't figure something else out.

I would doubt that you are going to be able to get things sorted out on your own so why not just give Apple Customer Support a call and use their help to get everything sorted out???

- Patrick
=======

OP
D
Reaction score
I would doubt that you are going to be able to get things sorted out on your own so why not just give Apple Customer Support a call and use their help to get everything sorted out???

- Patrick
=======
I will, thanks. Just getting some insight first, I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.