Can see my remote Disk on my G4

Reaction score
Hi

I have a g4 with an USB hard drive attached and I am trying to copy data to that disk from another mac - a mini.

I can see the g4 Disk ok but I cannot see the attached USB drive!!! The g4 says that its shared and the permissions seem to be set ok - same as the g4!!

I can copy to the g4 disk ok and then copy from there to the USB disk.

Anyone got any ideas - the USB disk is a FAT32 disk.

Hope someone can help it seems daft to me :-0

Cheers

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I've just tried to replicate what you're doing (I think) via network. I have my eMac and iMac linked through an ethernet hub.

An external hard drive is connected to the eMac via firewire, not usb. The iMac 'sees' the ehd.

I then powered up an old bare Hitachi drive and connected it via USB adaptor to the eMac. Once again, the iMac 'sees' the second external drive.

So:
1. are you using network to connect your G4 and your Mini?
2. is your external usb drive externally or bus-powered?

A Hint - connect your two computers first, get them linked via network and then plug in your external usb drive. That may prod the system into recognising it. Open Network to see if the connection is recognised on the Mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.