Can running Windows 10 using Boot Camp cause a lot of problems?

Reaction score
Hello!

My iMac meets all of the criteria for running Windows 10 via Boot Camp, however I've heard that doing so may cause many bugs/problems.

1) Is this true?
2) If so, it possible to delete Boot Camp & Windows altogether if I do happen to experience any issues?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

1) No
2) Yes

Basically, BootCamp creates a dual boot setup where you boot the hardware into whichever system you want. The two don't share anything, really, as they are essentially separated by the boot process. I'm not sure if a Windows system can even see the macOS partition at all, or vice versa.

Another alternative to BootCamp is to run a virtual Win10 system. That puts Win10 in a window on macOS. I use Parallels for that, there is also VMWare and VirtualBox to do the same thing. Works pretty well for most things. Wouldn't do that if you want gaming, but "normal" things work well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Regarding 1) make sure you run antivirus software on the BootCamp partition.

Reaction score
Regarding 1) make sure you run antivirus software on the BootCamp partition.

You only need anti-virus software on the virtualized partition of Windows if you use Windows for surfing the Web or doing e-mail.

Why? Because there are normally only two vectors for infection these days, the Web and e-mail. (Okay, rarely you might share some software with others via USB flash drives. That isn't usually legal, but if you do it you need to run anti-virus software.)

So, since the Mac OS already provides good solutions for the Web and e-mail, if you stick to the Mac OS for those things, and only use Windows to run programs that aren't available for the Macintosh, there is no vector for infection, and no need whatsoever for anti-virus software on your virtualized Windows partition.

Reaction score
Hello!

My iMac meets all of the criteria for running Windows 10 via Boot Camp, however I've heard that doing so may cause many bugs/problems.

1) Is this true?

I'm curious...what bugs have you heard about in Boot Camp, and who did you hear this from?

Also I'm curious about what you want to run Windows 10 for. Depending on what you intend to use it for, I may have an entirely free option to suggest (including not having to shell out for an expensive copy of Windows)!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That might be interesting Randy. In this time of more folks working at home I have a couple of Mac using colleagues who might like a few ideas. At the moment I'm testing Crossover to see if it works with the program that they need to use. Its been a while since I used Crossover and the hangup right now seems to be that this program needs the .net framework and I haven't gotten that turned on yet.

I can think of easy ways to do it with a copy of Windows but I'd rather they not have to shell out for that.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Apart from the need to run games or maybe CAD software, there is almost no reason to run Windows through boot camp. You are much better of running it through virtualization software like VMWare Fusion, Parallels (both paid) or VirtualBox (free). I run Windows 10 this was for work and have no issues at all.

My Windows instance is largely used for development, so I have the VM using 2 cores, 4GB of memory and 250GB of storage and it works great.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Its been a while since I used Crossover and the hangup right now seems to be that this program needs the .net framework and I haven't gotten that turned on yet.

I'm using the latest version of CrossOver (19.0.1) and it does real well running some Windows programs. You can see what CrossOver will run by going to their website and looking over the list of programs and games that are supported. One important note about the latest version... is that it will run Windows 32 bit apps even from Catalina. That's quite an amazing feat by the developers. As you probably know, CrossOver is really a sophisticated version of WINE and more or less automates the installation of the programs it supports.

As a test the other day, I dug out my copy of Microsoft Office 2010 for Windows and CrossOver installed it and had it up and running in 10 minutes. The hardest part was doing the configuration for each app (Word, PPT, Excel) but afterward it ran quite well albeit a bit slower than if it had been running in a real version of Windows.

If you have a program that needs .net support, CrossOver will download and install it as part of the setup (as long as the program is supported).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I almost forgot to mention...

Don't overlook "React OS" (A Windows clone which purports to be able to run Windows programs, Windows license not needed.)

Front Page | ReactOS Project

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did the basic setup the other night but something went a little sideways. I'm going to experiment with it a bit later in the week This ia a billing program used for work. It's not an issue for me since I have my wife's old Windows box to use. A couple of my colleagues have Macs and think I can get them upend running without too big an issue this isn't a complicated program and shouldn't require a lot of resources.

Of course the goal is to do this without buying a Windows license.

Edit: I'm not sure if I didn't know about ReactOS or if I had forgotten about it. I'll certainly give it a look if I can't get Crossover up and running.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Of course the goal is to do this without buying a Windows license.

Yes, using ReactOS:

ReactOS (Free)
Front Page | ReactOS Project

In combination with:

Oracle VirtualBox (Free)
Oracle VM VirtualBox
Oracle VM VirtualBox - Downloads | Oracle Technology Network | Oracle

might work for what you need to do. Another option is to use one of these programs that allows you to run Windows programs without the need to install a copy of Windows (or a clone of it) at all:

WineBottler (free)
(similar to Crossover)
WineBottler | Run Windows-based Programs on a Mac
Direct download:
WineBottler Mac 1.8.6 / 2.0.0 Dev - Download
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip77o8T3QtY

PlayOnMac (free, donation requested)
(similar to Crossover)
http://www.playonmac.com/en/

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Randy. I was aware of WineBottler and have used VirtualBox briefly. There's a resource or two there that I wasn't aware of. Looks like I've got some testing to do this weekend. I think there's a chance Crossover will work of I can figure out the framework issue. I think the app we are trying to install needs the .net framework activated in Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Until last year I had been using Virtual Box with Windows XP because I had a Fujitsu flat bed/duplex scanner that wasn’t compatible with the MacOS. When I bought my first iMac in 2010 I installed XP via Boot Camp.

The big advantage of using a virtual PC is that you don’t red to close the Mac OS to access the Windows partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 4 Macs, most recent 2020, 13.3 MacBook Air running on osMac 10.15.3
Hello!

1) Is this true?
2) If so, it possible to delete Boot Camp & Windows altogether if I do happen to experience any issues?

Thanks in advance.

What is the point of running Windows 10 using Boot Camp or an Emulator. Once you start to run Windows (most versions) on a Mac your troubles will just begin. Unless you have a reputable antivirus software and Malwarebyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@jga40, running Windows on your Mac using either BC or a virtual system doesn't mean your Mac is threatened by what happens in the Windows side. Even if your windows "system" was hijacked by a virus for Windows, that virus can do nothing to the Mac side of the system. It cannot harm the macOS software or the system there. Even in a virtual system, it cannot get out of the emulator. CleanMyMac is a very aggressive program that has caused a lot of problems for a lot of people because it "cleaned" essential files and created issues as a result. Most of us here recommend that you NOT use CMM. As for the "garbage left behind" on uninstall, that stuff is trivial and harmless. A few plist files, maybe a config file here or there. Small files that you don't need to worry about. If you really want to get rid of them, get AppCleaner and just drag the application to be deleted to the AppCleaner window and it will tidy that up for you, for free.

I ran Win7, then Win10, in a Parallels environment for 10 years to support one application that my wife's business needed. She is retired now, but I keep the Windows around to play some old Windows games in. No A/V software as the system never connects to the Internet from Windows. Works perfectly well, no problems at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I keep the Windows around to play some old Windows games in. No A/V software as the system never connects to the Internet from Windows. Works perfectly well, no problems at all.

Here's one that I know you will love to play. (And so would I)

Home - Microsoft Flight Simulator

Not sure that my current iMac can handle it though. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 4 Macs, most recent 2020, 13.3 MacBook Air running on osMac 10.15.3
With CleanMyMac X you have to learn which tests to run, and which to keep away from. Bit like TechToolPro 12 which Apple used to include with AppleCare as TechTool De luxe.
I would happy to list which tests are safe to use in CMM and which to leave alone. In pre Mac OS X days there was an application called 'Conflict Catcher' which helped to locate 'conflicts'but each part of the OS had to be isolated and run to see if it fixed the conflict. It was if I remember right it took 4-5 hours to discover which part of the OS was causing the problem and remove it. Things have changed for the worse IMO. I no sooner became familiar with Mojave when Catalina came along. Had to download it three times before I could get the full download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've learned what tests to run in CMM. None.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I’ve found out maOS is very good at taking care of itself, as long as I remain mindful of what I am doing with it.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Hello!

1) Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

I'm very happy with WIN10 and El Capitan and Boot Camp on my IMAC. Things got a bit shaky at one point but I fixed it with How to Reset PRAM on a Mac and YouTube
I'm sure Boot Camp and WIN10 can be deleted but honestly, I hope it never comes to that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.