Can my G4 dual and G4 iMac become ONE 'PUTER?

C

clamboni

I'd love to use them both simultaneously - use the better computing power of the G4 dual along with the coolness of my sweet new 17 in iMac and have two monitors going... i doubt this is even possible or a good idea.

But can't I combine them to make one mega super computer???
Otherwise, I might have to store my sweet little iMac away for a rainy day - there's just no reason to have both right now.

:confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Offhand I don't know of a way to cluster those two...

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
OP
R

Ryanstech

Your dual procs. G4 would make a great server that you could control from the sweet 17" imac if you have a need for something like that.

OP
S

SogniX

My Dual 533 Mhz Tower, even tho beats my new 1Ghz PowerBook - I have setup as a File Server, Print Server, Scan Station...

Need to store movies that you don't want to waste your iMac's hard drive space for? Store them on the Tower!

You can mount the tower's drives locally on your Mac and they look and act just like the hard drives on the Tower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Yes, you can combine the RAM and processing power of both machines using "cluster computing". This is essentially the same process used to create a Beowulf computing cluster.

As for how do you do it? I'm not even going to try and explain it over the internet. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Matt said:
^^^

Is this expesive? How much? (US)

No, the software required is free...open source.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.