Can I....

S

Slip

Can I somehow get something set up where I can watch Cable TV on my mac with my existing cable line? It's an Imac G4 running OS 10.2.8. I already have a cable setup for my internet connection, and I'm wondering if I can rig it up so I can watch Cable TV on my mac. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
whats an Imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
thats not an Imac. Thats an iMac.

OP
S

Slip

Correction noted.......iMac it is then. Now, have any suggestions for the original point of the post?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
ah, i see, the iMac

you see, it's lower case 'i' then capital "M" then lower cased 'ac'

:rolleyes:

sKaD

OP
S

Slip

Yes. Just like it's written here in bold grey letters right on the front of the flippin screen :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hehehe sorry a little pet peeve of mine.
I dont know if its possible, but I'd LOVE to know... me have cable too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I am / was thinking about this : http://www.elgato.com/

Then you buy this : http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_003_010_001_000&product_id=15-2582

Then finally, you buy 2 of these : http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_003_010_003_005&product_id=15-1552
(or whatever length you want)

You then hook your cable into the splitter. Next you hook one end of the splice to the cable modem and the other to the EyeTV thingamadoo. If there is something in between your cable modem and the actual cable ( like a an adapter, filter, amplifier or whatever, make sure that item goes between the splitter and the cable modem and NOT between the actual cable and the splitter ). There should be only straight through coax from the splitter to your EyeTV, unless you have a cable box, which is a whole other can of worms, and I wouldn't even bother with it, unless it is your main source of TV. In which case you want the box to go in between your EyeTV and the splitter.

Hope that makes sense...

OP
S

Slip

Hmm, Thanks Emrys. That should give me somethin' to run with here. Only problem...I have digital cable so between the actual cable line and my TV is a box that gives me 200+ channels of pure nothing. But now I have the general idea of what I need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ugh come on people, you call that help? That really cheapens these forums.. I love humor, but frustrating users is not a good thing!

You might want to look at this app:
http://www.elgato.com/eyeTV/

That's the only thing I can find on the subject.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
ahh I guess while I was typing.. and watching football.. Emrys wrote a great message :)

OP
S

Slip

So I would plug my hard cable line into the RF plug there on the back of the EyeTV, then just take the USB port to my computer and let the software take it over from there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.