Can I Wipe Newer (2018) Macbook Pro and Install (Clone) Older MBP OS & Files?

rocknrollchef

Reaction score
Hello: I'd like to keep using my older Adobe CS6 software (and others) I currently use with my 2014 Macbook but apparently it has a problem with Ventura OS - which came installed on the newer (2018) MBP.

QUESTION: Is it possible to wipe the newer Mac hardrive completely and install my older OS (Monterey) and apps?

Thanks and let me know if you know

chef

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with OWC, and the tech there said that YES I can wipe the files from a 2018 Macbook Pro and install the older Monterey OS (and compatible software). Is he wrong? Or is the incompatibility with the hardware vs. the software? Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

Sadly, it is not possible to do that. The Mac can run no version older than what came on it from the factory.

Adobe is also pretty non-helpful in getting CS6 transferred. They want to force you to sign up for their subscription service. But there is a pretty good alternative in Affinity Photos and the other Affinity products. One time purchase, no subscription. And they have a sale right now.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Do you work for Affinity

Let's be clear. None of the Forum members work for a company and endorse their products. What members do is advise about products they themselves have found useful.

I too, am a "fan" of Affinity. Earlier on, there was "Aperture" an Apple product which I and many others thought was tremendous value for money. Top drawer app. Then Apple dropped it and tried to enhance their "Photos" app. Photos is okay; but if you want more at a reasonable price......... Affinity appeared and I have to say is a fabulous product - at an extraordinary good price.

I say that not as an employee of that company nor as a receiver of money or benefits - just as a user. Ditto for Jake; and others here.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Do you work for Affinity
Nope. Never have. Was a consultant in Management, Change Management, and Software Development before I retired 10 years ago. Just a satisfied customer of Affinity Photo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.