Can I use Time Capsule for backup and for internet at once?

Reaction score
Just got a new Time Capsule, and got it configured to use Time Machine to back up my hard drive. Also set up a new WiFi network. The TC is plugged into a hard-wired cable connection. Both work fine independently, but I have to turn off the WiFi network in order for Time Machine to be able to access the TC. Is that normal? I thought it should be able to do both at once.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Something is definitely amiss here. You should be able to use the Time Capsule for both internet and Time machine backups simultaneously. If that weren't possible Time Machine couldn't be used for wireless backup.

I think we need to know a bit more about your network setup.

OP
L
Reaction score
OK... using Comcast cable internet. I didn't set up the cable modem so I can't give you techspecs on that, but it's accessed either by plugging into an outlet in the wall, OR via a wireless router (which I'll call Network A).

I set up the Time Capsule, connecting the Ethernet WAN port to the cable modem outlet, and set up my own wireless network ("Network B") for internet access.

If I set my computer's WiFi to access Network A, my backup works fine. If I switch to my Network B, the Time Capsule shows as a device which was "formerly in my network" but it not available.

What else do you need to know?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OKI have a network setup which is essentially like yours. My router provides one network. The Time Capsule is connected to it via an ethernet cable. The Time Capsule is in Bridge mode. Here's a bit more info on bridge mode including where to set it in the Airport Setup Utility AirPort Utility 6.x: Set up a base station or AirPort Time Capsule as a bridge

Two notes about this arrangement:
1. It doesn't work if the providers modem/router uses PPOE to connect to the Internet.
2. My Time Capsule is set up with a static IP address which may or may not be necessary. If it necessary we can help with that as well.

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm using Bridge mode as well. Is there a way I can check from my system whether the modem and or router is using PPOE?
Oh, here's an odd thing. It changed. I just checked in my Airport Utility to see what my configuration was. I'm currently set to Network A, which usually means I can use my Time Capsule for backup. But it's now saying that it's not available. Hang on, let's see what it does when I switch to my own Network B...
OK, now the situation has completely flip-flopped. It is now able to see the Time Capsule, and is merrily doing a backup -- while I have my new Network B selected. I'm very confused.
Re-testing by switching back to Network A -- checking the Airport Utility -- and now both the Internet connection and the Airport Time Capsule icons have green "OK" lights.
Dangit, I think I have got the dreaded "intermittent" situation. But both setups look to be working now.

Well, I hope it was all just a false alarm. If the problem recurs I'll post again. :-/

Reaction score
Ok Question??

Really confused...

Why didn't you just connect your router to your cable modem and then connect the time capsule to it.

And if your on comcast i wouldn't use there wireless it's not secure at all built into there new modems.

OP
L
Reaction score
I am staying temporarily with a cousin, and the Comcast setup was done before I got here. I'm not sure how the modem is set up, but it's accessed by plugging the ethernet cable into a wall port -- and now you know as much about it as I do! :)
So I think I am connecting my TC as directly as possible to the Comcast modem -- which is ALSO providing a wireless signal in the house. Probably around March I will be relocating, and will be very interested in start-from-scratch internet connection options, without using Comcast.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.