Can I use slower memory if there is more OF IT?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
My present machine has 4 gig of Ram. I have two 4 gig modules from an older machine. They ARE the same physical configuration DDR3 modules, but they are 1200 mhz as opposed to 1600 mhz in my machine now. Is there any advantage to MORE RAM, but with a marginally slower speed? I know you can't use higher speed memory than the system CPU was designed for, but will the CPU freak out with slower memory?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The ram will either work or it won't work. And it will either fit or it will not fit (the pin configuration can be different).

- Nick

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
The ram will either work or it won't work. And it will either fit or it will not fit (the pin configuration can be different).

- Nick

Thank Nick, THAT narrows it down LOL

Pin configuration is identical. I'd just rather not cause any undo wear and tear (heat?) on the control board. More work means more heat, just not sure if slower speed memory relates in any way to additional work/heat, i.e: CPU trying to pick up the pace.

Not in any way a big deal, computer runs fine with 4 gig.

ken

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the pin config. is the same…then pop the ram in…and see if it works. And if it works initially…see if it is stable in the longer term.

I really don't think that heat is an issue. Basically…sometimes faster ram can be used without issue…but I haven't seen too many folks try to install slower ram (and have it work). The computer "wants/needs" a certain minimum ram speed. So if the computer doesn't like the 1200mhz ram…it simply won't boot…or you will get frequent kernel panics.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If it was a Windows machine, I would say the slower memory would work fine. But I have noticed Apple computers are a tad more picky about memory and such. Give it a try and if it doesn't work put the other memory back in. It won't hurt it to try.

Lisa

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a simple benchmark test I can use for a before/after test?

I know it sounds counter productive to install slower ram, but it IS only marginally slower, culled from a machine was was only two years older.

More curiosity than anything else. This computer runs fine.

k

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the ram doesn't work…there's no need for a benchmark test. Just install the ram…and see if it works!:)

Remember…ram is just one part of the "speed equation". So even if this 1200mhz ram works…the computer is most likely not going to feel much slower (if at all).

But first install the ram to see if it works. If it doesn't…all further questions or theories are moot!;)

Just do it!!!:)

- Nick

p.s. If you wanted to do a benchmark test…you could try Geekbench.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I wouldn't recommend putting in memory slower than what the machine is rated to use. You might end up seeing interesting crashes and behaviors.

If you have memory that was faster than your machine is rated for, in a lot of cases the RAM will work OK at the lower speed, but the same isn't true in the opposite direction.

RAM is fairly cheap these days, you're better of buying a pair of 4GB sticks that match your machine's spec and use that..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I'm with Ashwin and would avoid what you are suggesting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.