Can I use OS9.1 and OS X in tandem?

M

mackelly

I'd like to try OS X so that I can see what I am missing, and so I could use some of the newer OS X based software.
I'm running OS 9.1 from a G3 desktop that has been upgraded to a G4-500Mhz with 576MB RAM. I have 2 older SCSI hard drives and a new Firewire drive. My 9.1 resides on one of the older drives. I'm thinking of putting OS X onto the firewire drive. Can I switch back and forth as needed? How would I make the switch? Has anyone tried this with success? Will I encounter any problems maintaining my internet setup and connection? I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
im not sure how to set it up but im sure it will work since most of the new apples came with OS X and 9 installed together letting you switch whenever you want

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Like trpnmonkey said.. you shouldnt have any problems at all.. although with the newer newer macs you will only be able to boot into os X and not 9 although you'll be able to use classic apps through the classic application in OS X. Networking etc shouldnt change at all. And if you install OS 9 on another drive then yeah you would be able to switch between the two.. or I should say boot on either drive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You'll find though that the more you use OS X, the less you'll use OS 9 to the point you'll just get rid of it :)

OP
M

mackelly

Thanks for replying

I'll give it a try and let you know how it works.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.