can I upgrade the processor or something?

F

FSTP

I was wondering what it would entail making my processor faster or getting a new one without buying a new mac? can I simply get a newer processor and plug it in? I'm rather new to macs so I'm not to clear on how thier hardware works.
thanks,
Jess

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
FSTP said:
I was wondering what it would entail making my processor faster or getting a new one without buying a new mac? can I simply get a newer processor and plug it in? I'm rather new to macs so I'm not to clear on how thier hardware works.
thanks,
Jess

Also check www.macsales.com (other world computing). I think you can upgrade the processor as high as dual 1.4 Gig or so. The towers are pretty expandable. You may also want a newer video card depending on what you want to use your mac for.

OP
F

FSTP

you guys are awesome. I was looking at these and it askes what kind of G4 I have. I have no idea, I just no its not green like ones in the pictures. Mine is silver grey and white, Do the cases give a clue to what kind it is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
FSTP said:
you guys are awesome. I was looking at these and it askes what kind of G4 I have. I have no idea, I just no its not green like ones in the pictures. Mine is silver grey and white, Do the cases give a clue to what kind it is?

The G4 733MHz was build in two case types:
The first G4 case (dark blue front and back, grey side panels with dark blue Apple logo on the sides) and the Quicksilver case (All grey, with dark grey Apple logo on the sides).
As far as I know, they both use the same bus speed, and thus can use the same CPU upgrades. The connector for the G4 daughterboard didn't change from the G4 AGP to the MDD, only the bus speed and location on the mainboard is different.

Check the link to see all different kinds of PowerMacs, including their specs and case designs:
http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/index.shtml

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
OP
F

FSTP

Great!

So say I have about 300 bux what could I do and what would be the most bang for the buck type processor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
FSTP said:
thanks,
Jess
Just to let you know Boss i did a processor upgrade and it was worth it. I mean my powermac rips now.

OP
F

FSTP

New2Macs said:
Just to let you know Boss i did a processor upgrade and it was worth it. I mean my powermac rips now.

Awesome was it hard to install? which one did you get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
FSTP said:
Awesome was it hard to install? which one did you get?
Nope it wasnt hard at all to install. I got the Sonnet Upgradecard 1 Gig. It works great man. Just make sure that you purchase the correct one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.